Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Album Review: Leah - The Quest

Here's something I don't talk about very often; folk metal. I do not come from a background where, either by heritage or geography, I have much of a history with folk music. So when I come across metal that incorporates the style, I'm often at a bit of a loss how I'm supposed to react to it. I say the same thing about the blues, but at least there is enough of it in all stripes of rock and roll that I have absorbed a few of the basics. Folk music is still a foreign language to me, in terms of how the construction is supposed to work alongside the twisted ideas I have in my mind of what music is supposed to be.

It doesn't help when the folk is Celtic, in particular, as Leah is. Plenty of people do, but I don't have a drop of Irish blood in my heritage, which makes it difficult for me to embrace music that is so traditional for a specific culture I am not a part of. Still, I try, because experiments can often lead to surprising results.

The album dares to challenge us, opening with the ten-minute title track, one that takes us on a ride that requires considerable patience. It builds very slowly, and even when the guitars and rock instrumentation kicks in, the song takes plenty of opportunities to slow down, while Leah uses her voice more as an instrument than as the lead. The lyrics are rather few, as she coos and lilts wordlessly for long stretches. It is effective at setting an atmosphere, but I'm not sure what about the song I'm supposed to latch onto. There doesn't seem to be a core to the composition, just plenty of beautiful sounds.

As we move further into the record, that approach shifts into a more structured one, with songs that offer compelling reasons for their existence. Songs like "Edge Of Your Sword" and "Lion Arises" are dotted with interesting musical sounds, but are anchored by Leah's soothing voice delivering caressing melodies. The natural comparison for anything of this sort is Nightwish, especially true since Troy Donockley appears here, but I don't think that's right. Leah's music is more Celtic than symphonic, and yes, there is a difference. This record is more akin to Karnataka's "Secrets Of Angels", a record I adored (right down to the lengthy title track being my least favorite cut), simply a bit slower and softer.

There's a bit of an irony here. Leah's voice is soft and lush, but it's when the album kicks up the energy slightly that she is most compelling. Those don't sounds like the moments that would play to the strengths of her voice, but they are when she is doing something just different enough that it makes you pay attention to what you're hearing. She has the potential to be that good.

The thing about "The Quest" is that because of how much Celtic/folk influence is in the compositions, the record is rather soft and subdued. That plays well with her voice, but it does mean that if you are coming at this from the perspective of a traditional rock or metal fan, you may be disappointed with how often the guitars take a back seat to the Celtic sounds. If you can open your mind to this not being a traditional rock album, then there is plenty here to be excited about.

I'm not going to try to tell you Leah's rocking take on it has converted me into a massive fan of folk music. That wasn't going to happen, but what I can say is that I appreciate the sheer beauty of what she and her collaborators have put together here. "The Quest" is an album that delivers its goals exceptionally. I may not have the mindset to spin this regularly, but damn if it isn't the perfect album for the right mood. This sort of album is why I still like to step outside my comfort zone every so often. I wouldn't have exposed myself to Leah otherwise, and that would be a shame. "The Quest" is an album I'm glad to have heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment