Friday, October 18, 2019

Album Review: Dream State - Primrose Path

It's not often I hear a song and say, "Holy shit, what was that?" It's the kind of rush that keeps me on the hunt for new music, but it's a rare bird, which leaves me torn on whether to shout my praises or keep quiet so as not to scare it away. That isn't what happened the first time I heard Dream State. That experience would have been their "White Lies" single, and then the "Recovery" EP. That was enough for me to put them on the list of bands to make sure I was following, because I wanted to hear more from them. I knew from that material that Dream State had already made something really good, but they had potential to grow into something even better. Oh, did they ever.

When "Hand In Hand" was released earlier in the year, it was that "Holy shit" moment I was referring to. Listening to it, I wasn't just hearing Dream State continuing on as a good band, I was hearing the beginning of something massive. While their earlier work was good, this was great. It was the kind of song that tells you everything you need to know about how far a band can go. Dream State, with that song alone, could go as far as they want. But that wasn't the end of it. The next two singles, "Primrose" and "Open Windows" were every bit as good, and put together made for as good a three song suite as there's been all year. They hinted at an album that could rewrite my judgment of the year.

Dream State aren't just making great music, they're making important music. Their sound is that of hope. These songs are born from the darkness in singer CJ's life, but these are not the misanthropic rantings of an angry person wallowing in their own depression. No, Dream State is the vehicle by which she, and the audience, are able to run away from their demons, to feel a human connection with others who have gone through the same thing and come out the other side. Carl Jung wrote about a theory of the collective unconscious, wherein we are all connected at an innate level. Dream State is a collective consciousness, binding us together be reminding us we aren't alone. That is such a vital thing, today more than at other times, and it permeates every facet of "Primrose Path".

The band has mastered a difficult art, that of making aggressive music that still resonates as anthemic. CJ regularly injects her pained screams into these songs, and the band's sound can be categorized as post-hardcore, but their songs are massive, endowed with huge hooks and choruses that their fans can sing along with. Not only are they fantastically memorable, but they allow the listeners to become part of the experience by banging their head and singing the words themselves. It may be accidental, but it's an essential part of continuing the theme of "Primrose Path" being a catharsis for everyone.

And therein is the word I wanted to get to, catharsis. That's the feeling that washes over me listening to this record. Emotions in music come in all forms, which I can illustrate just using releases from this month. Michael Monroe made a pure rock n' roll record that makes me feel happy. Ray Alder made an album that makes me feel the back-side of an episode of melancholy. Dream State makes me feel optimistic about the future. These songs may emerge from a dark place, but they are illuminated by the light at the end of the tunnel. And as the record plays out, they become easier to see as we draw nearer to the source.

I've been taking the big-picture view, because that shows us everything we need to know. Dissecting the songs one-by-one, analyzing individual riffs and lyrics, isn't as important as understanding the meaning. When we stare at a painting, like Edvard Munch's "The Scream", we don't notice and obsess over every brush stroke. Hell, I doubt almost anyone who isn't a devoted art fans even knows there's more than one version of that painting. The differences between them aren't important, because the message gets through in all of them. That's how I feel about "Primrose Path". Yes, the songs are all great, but there isn't a need to say which ones are better than others. That's missing the point.

"Primrose Path" isn't that kind of album. This is one of those rare records that speaks to us at gut level. It's greatness is heard, but also felt. There's no need to go beyond that. "Primrose Path" is everything I could have ever hoped for, and everything so many people are going to need. Simply put, it is stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment