Monday, November 4, 2019

Album Review: Pretty Maids - Undress Your Madness

This is a bit of an uncomfortable album to review. No, there's nothing about the bnd themselves that gives me pause. Though I don't have a lengthy history with them, I did enjoy their last album a fair bit, and singer Ronnie Atkins has been part of two of my favorite melodic rock/metal albums of recent years as a member of Nordic Union. It's Ronnie that makes this tough, as in the time since this album's release was announced, he has disclosed his diagnosis of lung cancer, and has shuttered all band activity while he receives treatment. Frankly, I was surprised to hear the release was still scheduled, given that news, but that's where we are. I'm not sure exactly how to mesh that news with the album itself. One might alter my thinking on the other. But let's give this a shot anyway.

As was the case last time, the sound of Pretty Maids is in the same vain as Nordic Union, but with a heavier, slightly more metallic bent. But between the production choices for tones, and Ronnie's voice, they both fall under the same category. That's a good thing, as it's a sound that works. In fact, sounding a bit more like this is one of the reasons last month's new Eclipse album was a step up from the previous ones. There's something about a sound that's a bit sinister or melancholy that plays expertly against big, melodic hooks.

There's more melodic fare on the album as well. "Firesoul Fly", the second single, is a softer and more polished track. Despite the sort of clunky title, it's a lush song that gives a nice bit of diversity to the album. It isn't what you would expect from Pretty Maids at this point, the surprise of which makes it all the more interesting.

The aforementioned situation pops up on the title track, when Ronnie sings, "I've been to hell and back." It's a well-worn metaphor, but the context changes dramatically, knowing what he is now going through. The rest of the track gives no indication his diagnosis was early enough for the song to be about that topic, but the line sticks out like a sore thumb today. It does two things; it puts a veil of mortality over the record, and it exposes how hollow we allow our music to be. Songwriters throw out cliches like they're nothing, and we seldom know if the songs we're listening to have any real meaning behind them. Or at least that's what I start thinking.

The album hits its highlight with "Will You Still Kiss Me (If I See You In Heaven)", a heavy ballad that is so slickly melodic it could have been a pop hit years ago. I heard "Here I Go Again" on the radio right before I was listening to this record for this first time, and while that song is a rock legend, I would say without hesitation this one has a better melody. We don't always realize that a lot of modern music is better than the 'classics', but will never be able to defeat decades of brainwashing.

The majority of the record is really good, heavy melodic rock. Songs like "Runaway World" have that metallic bite, but a sweet melody to play off it. It's exactly the kind of music I like, so I have no trouble telling you I was enjoying it immensely as song after song gave me exactly what I was looking for. Veteran bands get a bad rap for not having the same spark as in the old days, but Pretty Maids absolutely do. They're not only as heavy as they've ever been, but their songwriting is top-notch. The only reason this won't be as big as their early stuff is the reality of how the business, and the music universe, has changed. I don't think Pretty Maids have even been better than this, so it's not of their doing.

I'm not going to judge yet how it fits in with the catalog of releases this year, but I can tell you it's a great listen. If you like music that's heavy and melodic, Pretty Maids have given us another satisfying album to continue a very strong fall release schedule. Easily recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment