Monday, December 23, 2019

The Best Albums Of The Decade: 2010-2019

We define our lives in periods of time, because for unknown reasons, periods of time divide themselves through cultural evolution. The theory of punctuated equilibrium comes to mind here, where a burst of rapid change then gives way to a period of stasis, only for the cycle to repeat itself. Culture is that way. From the 1920s through the new millennium, every decade had its own identity, its own taste. We could look back at every grouping of ten years and see something new, something unique, something that would fade from view once the next shift occurred.

That seemed to end when we moved into this 21st century. For the last twenty years, culture has felt more stagnated, as though we have reached the top of the ladder, and we don't know how to get ourselves down. We're too scared to jump, and too embarrassed to climb back down. That has grown more true with each and every year, to the point where the end of this decade is something I hadn't even thought about until it was mentioned to me by someone else.

The 2010s have had no identity of their own. Music has been a mess of influences, both new and old, that have turned the scene into a mud-pit. If you ask me to define the sound, I can't do it, because it can't be done. There is nothing to tie us all together, no record, band, or genre we can all agree set the standard for what else we encountered.

However, that does not mean great music was not made. There were countless albums from this decade that will stand the test of time, even if they will be harder to place on the timeline when our memories begin to get fuzzy. With honorable mentions to The Spider Accomplice's "Los Angeles" trilogy of EPs, and Soen's "Lotus", here are my picks for the best albums of the last ten years:

1. Dilana - Beautiful Monster (2013)
For as much time I as I spent listening to, and thinking about music, very little of it seeps in and makes a mark on my core. It fills my head most of the day, whether I'm playing it or not, but that is where most of it stays. This album is the most notable exception to that rule, as from the very first time I played it, my emotions were stirred in a way music hadn't managed in a long time. In fact, I didn't think it could do so anymore, but listening to the soul Dilana put into every note she sang on this record, it woke something that had been lying dormant in me. These are great songs, and exceptional performances, but it's the effect the music has on me that is louder than any speaker can achieve. In the last decade, that effect is singular to this record, and such a rare jewel must be treasured. That is why "Beautiful Monster" is my favorite album of the decade.

2/3. Graveyard - Hisingen Blues/Lights Out (2011/2012)
I could separate these out, and put one above the other, but given that these records came out a year apart, and I didn't really hear "Hisingen Blues" until I was already taken by "Lights Out", they are connected in my mind as one moment in musical time. We have spent much time talking about Graveyard's greatness, and these records are what established their stature. I am by no means a disciple of blues-based rock and roll, so for a band like Graveyard to become so important is a Cinderella story. What Graveyard did is return rock and roll to its roots, and strip things down so far we're reminded all we need are a few notes put in the right order for a song to be great. We often lose sight of how hard simplicity is, but when we hear it, we also become aware how much we rely on unimportant details when there isn't any structure holding them up.

4. Jorn Lande & Trond Holter - Dracula: Swing Of Death (2014)
My first musical love was "Bat Out Of Hell II", and I'd like to think if Jim Steinman was emerging today, this is the sort of album he would make. His oeuvre is a retelling of the Peter Pan story, while this record recounts the tale of Dracula. Steinman was over-the-top, his music dramatic and cheesy. That is true of this record as well. It is a stage musical with the dial turned so far up it has broken off. It is also, however, a riotously fun piece of music that has no business working. When I first heard it, I called it the Adam West "Batman" version of the Dracula story, and I still find that the most apt comparison I can think of. It's a record so unique, so absurd, it became an accidental bit of genius.

5. Halestorm - The Strange Case Of... (Deluxe Edition) (2012)
Obviously, there are very few generational talents. When one of them comes along, and does so with music that hits you, it's the sort of cathartic experience that endures through time. Having grown up with rock in the mainstream, the current state of that genre is one that constantly depresses me. The exception to that rule is Halestorm, and specifically Lzzy Hale. Her voice is on that short list of my favorites, who I will forgive for their musical sins. That's made easier with an album like this, which is practically tailor-made for me. With it's rock energy, pop hooks, and stunning vocals, this record cemented Halestorm not just as a great band, but as one of the best currently out there. The deluxe edition is a requirement, getting three great bonus tracks, including "Private Parts", which is one of the very best Halestorm songs. How it didn't make the record is a mystery to me. The full package, by itself, redeems the entire decade of terrible butt-rock we've been subjected to.

No comments:

Post a Comment