Thursday, February 6, 2020

Singles Roundup: Lucifer, Demons & Wizards, Creeper, and Allen/Olzon

January is often considered a wasteland of releases, and that isn't without some merit, but we're getting closer now to the start of bigger, more obviously quality releases being on the horizon. Here's a few new tracks pointing to what we can expect.

Lucifer - Ghosts

This band took a big step forward with their second album, leaving behind the slower doom for more classic rock elements. It's still got a sound that dirtier, and with hints of their occult roots, but they've managed to inject a lot more melody and energy into their writing. Johanna's voice has a detachment that works, because the music doesn't follow suit. There's contrast and interplay, and that makes all the difference. I think this is a strong sign that album number three should be similarly good.

Demons & Wizards - Midas Disease

But for every good, there is a bad. After fifteen years apart, and with Jon Schaffer running his own band into self-parody, I didn't expect a lot from the rebirth of this group. I'm not getting much. Single number two is slightly better than single number one, but mainly because it wastes two less minutes of my life. These power metal 'legends' are trying to be AC/DC for some reason, and the whole thing is rather tired, flat, and uninspired. This sounds like a band that should have stayed a memory.

Creeper - Annabelle

At this point, Creeper might be the album I'm anticipating the most this year. They sound fresh and vibrant, and are giving me something I don't hear from anyone else. "Born Cold" was a fabulous single, and I'll be honest and say this one is not at that level. That said, it's still a good song, and has a charm to it I find appealing. The spoken word bit takes me out of it a bit, not so much because I don't like it, but it sounds quite a bit like a section of a Brian Setzer song practically no one but me remembers. Still, all signs are pointing to an interesting, if not important, album.

Allen/Olzon - Worlds Apart

We get a lot of records with singers teamed up, and most of them don't need to exist, because there's a rule of duets that doesn't get followed (I'll talk about that when I review the record). This one is different, and the first song we've been graced with is a lovely example of how to do melodic metal well. Russell Allen and Anette Olzon are both great singers, but the real joy is in hearing their voices blend. There's something magical about that, and when you pair it up with a good song, it's hard to beat. This album has the potential to be one of the better releases of the first quarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment