Friday, September 25, 2020

Album Review: Nightmare - Aeternam

 Nightmare's last album answered a question that had bounced around in my head, but I never expected to get an answer to. They blended heavy and chugging power metal with gritty vocals that sounded like the voice I have pledged allegiance to. It was a combination that perhaps shouldn't have worked, but it did. It was rough and tumble, but held a melodic edge to it that kept it from getting away from the band. It's one of those records that just has a bit of an aura to it, and I find myself coming back, because nothing else sounds quite like it.

So it's sad to have to say that Maggy Luyten is not with the band anymore, which completely changes the band's sound. Her voice was, for me, the driving force behind what made "Dead Sun" so great, and I walk into this record with a heart full of disappointment. I can be won over, but it will be difficult.

The first thing to note is that while the band is still playing their blend of chugging power and melodic death metal, new singer Madie's voice is much cleaner than Maggy was, which lets them play more with a duality in their sound. That's actually an interesting way of changing things up, and while it isn't the same, it is a sound that has a strong appeal. Madie gives the band a new, different life.

These songs are vrery much in the same mold as "Dead Sun", all heaviness atop heaviness, utterly pummeling for power metal. The hints of thrash and death metal give these songs a real weight to them that sets them apart, while Madie does her best to blend in simple, memorable melodies. She does do that, but the issue is exactly what I thought it would be; Nightmare is such a powerful band I'm not sure she can quite match them. Maggy's delivery was so raspy and aggressive it fit right in, and she had the lung power to cut through the mix. Madie's voice blends into the wash a bit more, which makes the melodies that much more subtle.

There's two ways for me to look at "Aeternam". On the one hand, taking the album solely by itself, this is a compelling power metal album filled with good songs, huge sounds, and bared fangs. It's easily a winner on those counts, and up there with the better metal albums I've come across this year. On the other hand, I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say this album is not on the level of "Dead Sun". It's good, but the step down from the magical moment in time Nightmare just had is noticeable.

So the bottom line is this; "Aeternam" is very good, and as long as you're looking forward, it's everything we could want it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment