Monday, November 23, 2020

Singles Roundup: Transatlantic, Pale Waves, W.E.T., and Mammoth WVH

 With the year almost over, we have shifted our focus to the next, and today we've got a few songs giving us some of our first hints of what 2021 is going to have to offer.

Transatlantic – Reaching For The Sky

The troubling album is due out at the start of February, and the first taste of it only frustrates me even more. This song is pure Transatlantic, hitting their signature warm prog sound with a lovely arrangement, strong melodies, and an optimistic tone that feels like home. There's a slight issue with the production of the vocals, but the song itself is another wonderful song from them. So why am I frustrated? Because this version of the song only appears on one of the two versions of the album. Depending on which you buy, this might not be the first single from the one you wind up listening to.

Pale Waves – Change

I was quite fond of Pale Waves' debut album, which was a perfect example of what I dubbed 'Daria rock'. The lead single to their upcoming record does shift directions from that, becoming something more emotional and powerful. Heather's vocals are stronger, and the song is a brighter and more energetic affair. It sounds like the band growing into their skin, which is exactly what they should be doing. I'm not sure what a warmer Pale Waves will be, but after hearing this, I'm interested to find out.

W.E.T. - Big Boys Don't Cry

One of the best melodic rock records of the last few years was W.E.T.'s "Earthrage". That record was filled with huge melodies that are everything a fan could have asked for. It was an almost perfect record, and left massive expectations for their upcoming effort. This first single is not encouraging. That's not to say it's bad, but it's not as powerful or hooky a song, sounding more generic than they did before. The decision to push the guitars all the way to the back is especially puzzling, as it leaves the song weak when it needs to punch. I know there will be better on the record, but I can't help but be disappointed.

Mammoth WVH – Distance

I hate being put in this position. Wolfgang Van Halen released this as the first song from his solo project, dedicating it to his father's memory, and putting out a video filled with home movie of the two of them. So how much of an asshole do I seem to be when I say I think the song is incredibly bland and boring? It's the truth, as I see it. I know the story, but that doesn't change what I'm hearing. It's a tepid song without a strong hook, and I don't feel the energy or emotion coming out of it. It might make me a lousy person to say something negative about this, but hey, I'm used to it. I hope he can do better, because this didn't impress me at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment