Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Singles Roundup: Anette Olzon, Eclipse, Yours Truly, & Iron Maiden

It's once again time to take a break from the flow of albums to talk about a few singles, because there's some interesting developments in there to dissect.

Anette Olzon – Parasite/Strong

We'll start out with a two-fer. Anette Olzon has had a marvelous renaissance, and she was part of my #2 album last year (should have been third, in hindsight - sorry Taylor Swift). Her upcoming album sees her teaming up with Magnus Karlsson again for what should be a no-brainer win for me. And yet, these two singles aren't hitting the same level as the best songs on that Allen/Olzon record. These songs are good, and it's always nice to hear Anette, but I was expecting even more. Maybe this is an illustration of creative burnout in action.

Eclipse - Bite The Bullet

I've been saying for years that Eclipse is the least interesting of Erik Martensson's projects to me, and this new single is making me more nervous than ever for the new album. I didn't like the song about partying they put out, but I coudl write that off as a novelty. This is a serious song, and it's the worst Eclipse song I've ever heard. It's heavy for them, sure, but it has almost no chorus at all to it. There isn't a catchy melody anywhere, and it doesn't sound like melodic rock whatsoever. It's just not good.

Yours Truly – Walk Over My Grave

Since "Self Care" was my Album Of The Year, I think we can safely say a new Yours Truly song is a big deal. That being said, this is an odd one. The band is obviously trying for a different vibe here, and I appreciate that. However, that vibe doesn't come along with a song as buoyant and catchy as anything they've done before (let's not forget their great EPs). There's a bit more energy, maybe angst even, but I don't get the cathartic release out of it. The darkness is seeping in a bit too much for my taste.

Iron Maiden – Writing On The Wall

I already have my issues with the new Iron Maiden album, even though it was just announced. I'll save that for later, but this song gives me both hope and concern to talk about. The hope comes in the form that this song grew on me, and it's a solid single that does what it's supposed to. It does sound more like it should be on a Bruce Dickinson solo album, but that's not an issue. It's a far better single than "Speed Of Light" was, or even "The Final Frontier". My concern is how it sounds. Kivin Shirley's productions are always dry, which not everyone likes, and that reveals Bruce sounding rough. His voice isn't what it was, and he either didn't make an adjustment to fit what he's best at today, or everyone decided to present the band as they are, warts and all. That's a mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment