Wednesday, April 27, 2022

EP Review: Waxflower - The Sound Of What Went Wrong

'Music for the over-thinker' is how Waxflower describes the songs for this new EP. That's a phrase that hits home, because I am certainly one of those people. My mind is always running through scenarios, envisioning different ways things could play out, trying to find the one where I won't be left with a trail of regret to follow home, or to be followed by whatever demon is following my scent. You can tell just from that last sentence exactly what I mean, which is why I sat down to listen to this new EP, and also why my judgment of it might be harder than for many other people. As an over-thinker, and as someone who uses lyrics as a means to tie threads of doubt into knotted tapestries, I'm comparing them to what I would do with the same thoughts.

"Ring" kicks things off with a synthetic drum loop and an angular guitar figure. It borrows from the modern sense of indie-rock I've never liked, but quickly moves into a more traditional alt/pop-punk chorus with sunny guitars and a smooth melody. It bears resemblance to Yours Truly, whose "Self Care" shares a producer with this effort. It's a fine song, but there is an issue apparent from the very start. For an album about over-thinking, and all the mental gymnastics that go along with it, the lyrics are obscured. Whether that's the delivery of the vocals or the mix I can't quite say, but the end result is I feel like I'm missing out on an important part of the song. It was difficult to tell even what the titular ring was referring to. It's their job to get the meaning across, not mine to decipher it.

That clears up on the following songs, whether it's the duet with a few more hardcore tinges in "Soak", or "The Drama Scene", where the chorus doesn't really put any noticeable backing vocals behind the lead in the chorus. That choice is an odd one, as the start-stop guitars are crying out for a big sing-along, but that's not what the band gives us. It almost comes off sounding a bit 'less' for their absence, because my mind is trying to fill in the missing data. Or perhaps I am over-thinking yet again, which is the danger, after all.

The comparison to Yours Truly is one that makes a lot of sense. Not only do the two bands have a similar tone to their music, understandably, but it serves as a way to explain the difference between this EP and "Self Care". Waxflower is a softer band, in terms of how they dig into their music. They aren't playing or singing with as much power or passion, preferring a more laid-back style of introspection. That's fine, but the punch they lack means these songs don't hit quite as hard. The hooks can't reach the same heights, they can't bowl us over the same way.

Waxflower is a band more about charm than raw power. That makes for a fine EP to listen to, as these five songs do a fine job of giving us a dose of pop-punk energy. It's an enjoyable little listen, but I don't think the barbs can dig into my skin the way Yours Truly did. These songs will scratch the surface, and may even draw blood, but there won't be a scar left afterward. Yours Truly left one, Waxflower doesn't. That's the big takeaway here.

No comments:

Post a Comment