Friday, July 15, 2022

EP Review: Yours Truly - Is This What I Look Like?

Yours Truly was already on my radar with their first two EPs. I don't remember how I came across "Too Late For Apoogies", but it quickly became one of the few EPs to make a real impression on me. I loved their sound, and Mikaila's strident voice, and by the time they released "Afterglow", I was already saying they were one of the new bands to watch. They had the potential to become one of the shining stars in our musical sky, a southern cross guiding our way.

"Self Care" was what I had been waiting for, a full-length album that showcased more facets of the band's sound. It was everything I could have hoped for, updating the sound of pop-punk with more emotion and introspection. It was my clear-cut Album Of The Year, and it elevated Yours Truly exactly the way I envisioned. But what's interesting is how they are choosing to follow up on that success, which comes in the form of this new EP. The band is getting a bit more experimental with these songs, and they're giving us only a bite-sized taste of their next chapter. Is that enough?

I'm not sure how to answer that question, because I can make the case for both 'yes' and 'no'. Let's take those one at a time.

The answer is 'no', because EPs rarely feel like complete musical statements to me. Even with seven songs, the experience is over fast enough that I keep thinking there is more of this current mindset that needs to be said. The band explores this new sound, but I'm not sure if they have dug deep enough to fully get to the bottom of it. These songs take on a different aura, turning down some of the harder rock influences in favor of a more modern and rhythmic approach. The hooks don't rise as high, the riffs don't hit as hard. The songs are a bit more subtle, preferring to ingratiate rather than burst through the door.

Because of that, I need to hear more. With a few more songs, I would better understand the how and why of the shift in tone, and perhaps the result would alter my reaction to the music. Something similar happened with Halestorm, where I didn't fully understand the shift they made with "Into The Wild Life" until I heard "Vicious" three years later. It took me two albums to fully embrace that change, and I'm thinking the same is true here, and I'm not going to completely buy-in to what Yours Truly are doing until I hear what comes next.

The answer is 'yes', because I'm not sure if I want a full album of this new style. I still like what Yours Truly are doing, and they are doing it well, but I don't connect with it the same way I did the songs on "Self Care". With the change in guitar style, I miss the power of the heavy chords. The backdrop isn't as powerful, which undercuts some of Mikaila's singing. She can't go all out the same way, which hinders the emotional resonance of her voice. They write songs about issues, and getting past them, and these songs don't have the same outpouring of her soul (in audible form) I heard before.

So this EP leaves in an uncomfortable place, where I definitely like what they are doing, but I can't say it isn't a disappointment when compared to what they had been doing before. The band started high, and rose even higher, but this EP feels like a step back down. Perhaps that is necessary, and the next great chapter simply can't be reached in a straight line from where they were, but this detour isn't quite the road I want to go down.

This is a case where good is overshadowed by great. What a thing to complain about, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment