Monday, May 8, 2023

Only Five Albums, Only One Year.... Forever

We've probably all faced the 'desert island' thought experiment, where we can only take a finite number of records with us to a desert island to satisfy us for the rest of our lives. It's a fun thing to think about, because it cuts to the heart of what exactly our favorite musical things are, and which ones we don't think we can live without.

I recently saw someone ask a different version of the question that puts even more limitations on what we're going to do. As a way of asking what our favorite year for music is, the question was asked which year we would pick if we were only allowed to listen to five albums from the same year for the rest of our lives. A tough one, perhaps?

Yes and no. Narrowing my choices down was easy. I thought about what music is most important to me, what music defines me in ways I can't do without, and the window of time narrowed significantly. Nothing before or after that narrow band would suffice. The only decision is which of the two years has the superior roster.

My first choice is 1996.

First and foremost, 1996 gives us Tonic's "Lemon Parade". Tonic remains my favorite band (for now), and this album spent many years as my favorite album of all time. Not having any Tonic with me would be a hearty disappointment, and even if I think I would rather have "Head On Straight" with me for repeated listening, I can't complain about which great record I wind up with. This record put 1996 on my radar, the rest made the choice easy.

Next would be Weezer's "Pinkerton". For as much as I have talked about the record's issues, and how difficult it can be to listen to with a current cultural mindset, it remains one of those fundamental records of my youth. If I can put the lyrics out of my mind, it's a wonderful little record I know I can listen to countless times.

There is also The Wallflower's classic "Bringing Down The Horse". While I prefer "Breach" as a record, The Wallflowers are another of those fundamental bands that have greatly influenced my taste, and my own musical psyche. I would not be the person I am without Jakob Dylan's songwriting showing me the way, so I can't gripe about having to listen to "One Headlight" and "Sixth Avenue Heartache" on repeat.

Just as important, there is Matchbox 20's "Yourself Or Someone Like You". I have vivid memories of anticipating the day I got to unwrap the CD and play the record in full. While I may not have learned as much from this record as some others, I've always seen some of my own weirdness reflected in Rob Thomas's unusual vocal tone. It was a good year for formative records.

And finally, we have Dave Matthews Band's "Crash". Far from my favorite DMB album, getting to listen to "Two Step", "#41", and "Lie In Our Graves" will satisfy the part of me that wanted to pick up a guitar in the first place. The riff from the last of those mentioned songs was one of the first things I wanted to learn, and all these years later, is still one of the patterns my fingers fall into when I pick up an instrument.


My other choice is the year 2000.

First, we have The Wallflowers once again, but with "Breach", which is my second favorite album ever. It's one I already have listened to endlessly, so keeping that up seems like no problem at all. There are plenty of lyrics scattered throughout this record to engage my mind in ways most albums don't, and give me the inspiration to create for myself.

Then there is Dilana's "Wonderfool". It's hard to imagine not hearing a favorite voice ever again, and thankfully 2000 provides me with the opportunity to avoid that fate. Her voice warms my heart and makes me happy, and few things are as beautiful as her voice as she sings "When You're Around". Praise be.

There is also Green Day's "Warning", which has always been my favorite album of theirs, despite its relative unpopularity. It is a record I go through binges with, listening to it half a dozen times in a matter of a fortnight, so the infectious nature of this power-pop masterpiece would be right at home.

Avantasia released "The Metal Opera Pt II", which is the superior one to my mind. For a stretch, it was my favorite metal record ever, and the diversity of the songs and the cast of singers makes it an easy inclusion. I love the grandeur of this record, and maybe it would help me deny reality.

Finally, Matchbox Twenty (with the spelling change) put out "Mad Season" in 2000. It hasn't aged as well for me as their first album, but it was my pick of the bunch for many years. "Bent" is one of my favorite songs ever, and the rest of the album is a lovely kaleidoscope of pop sounds. What it may lack in visceral 'oomph', it makes up for with a diverse appeal full of its own charm.

So which year do I choose? One year has what was once my favorite album, in addition to more formative records, while the other has something I don't know if I could do without. Both feature records by the same two bands, which end up a wash when I prefer one from each. Really, I would be happy with anything from those top records, so what makes the decision for me are the fourth and fifth records. To this day, I listen to those Green Day and Avantasia albums far more, so I have to go that way.

For me, the most indispensable year in music is 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment