Friday, July 7, 2023

Album Review: Bloodbound - Tales From The North

Consistency, thy name is boring. That was clearly not written by Shakespeare, but maybe it is an age-old idea we sometimes forget happens to be the truth. Bands like Bloodbound make it clear why bands that never change up their style have die-hard fans, and plenty of people who dismiss everything they do. During their period of always evolving, I could at least say it was always interesting to listen to a Bloodbound record. Now that they've settled into a bit of a groove, I can't. They've become a bit... boring.

This time around, they change things up by embarking on a concept album about their Viking ancestors. While that might be new territory for them, there is so much metal out there about Vikings and Norse mythology it doesn't sound nearly as fresh as the band would want us to believe.

Also, if I may take a slight diversion; What is it with Bloodbound refusing t admit they're a cheesy power metal band? When they first hit the scene, they did the album cycle in faux King Diamond corpse paint. That was rather ridiculous, and quickly dropped, but all of the promo photos now show their singer with literal horns on his head. Seriously? I'm not a prude when it comes to body modification, but what is the point of doing something so obviously trying to make you look more rebelious than you really are? Ugh.

Back to the music. Bloodbound take their standard power metal, and this time add in some hints of folk to give it color. That gives some of the guitar lines on "Drink With The Gods" some nice bounce, but when the song turns into what feels like an endless chant about drinking, I wish I was drinking so it would feel shorter. And just as a bit of a philosophical rumination here, I would think if I was to ever meet the gods, I would want to remain sober so I knew I wasn't hallucinating something in a drunken stupor. It reminds me of the bit in the classic Simpsons "Treehouse Of Horror" segment when Homer gets sprayed with booze by the aliens, "so no one will believe you". Indeed.

I'll be honest with you about something. The reason I'm taking these diversions is because I don't actually have much to say about the music Bloodbound is giving us. Like all their recent records, this one is perfectly fine power metal. There's plenty of speed, and choirs, and it's all enjoyable enough to sit through. The problem is that it still never feels like I know who Bloodbound are, and the songs don't have the sharp knives they need to stick the landing.

Another Bloodbound album is just another Bloodbound album, much as it was the case in the later years of Motorhead's career. It will please the fans, and it will pacify those of us who remember a day we cared more about this stuff, but it won't win over people who aren't already dedicated to the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment