Monday, August 14, 2023

Singles Roundup: Graveyard, Creeper, April Art, & A Light Divided

Plenty of exciting stuff in the grab-bag this week.

Graveyard - Twice

Coming a couple of years after I heard the rumors of new music, Graveyard is finally back, and they've reunited with the producer of their first three records. As those are my favorites from their catalog, both developments are a welcome boost to the second half of the year. Despite the short running time, there is much in the song to pique my interest. The production corrects what I thought was the fuzzy mistake of "Peace", returning them to the more organic sound of those early records. Graveyard isn't a heavy band, and I think abandoning any pretense of trying to sound that way is the best path forward.

Also of note is that this song returns to a more melodic focus. Joakim's vocals aren't overly aggressive, and the mood is set to have the song ride on a simple groove while he croons. It's classic Graveyard stuff, and is a welcome sound to hear once again. The only issue I have is that the chorus of the song barely differentiates itself from the verses, which means even as short as this song is, it feels like it's only one part being repeated. Their singles are often less interesting than the more exploratory songs the deeper cuts offer us, and I'm expecting that to be the case here as well. It's nice to have Graveyard back, although they aren't quite all the way there just yet.

Creeper - Teenage Sacrifice

Why does it seem like I can never have nice things? Creeper is about to put out an album about vampires, dedicated to Jim Steinman. So why did they have to also use 80s influences to do it? They showed with "Thorns Of Love" that they could do pure Steinman, and to be honest, I would much rather hear them explore all the ways they could play with that sound. This 80s rock aesthetic is less interesting, because it's entirely played-out. So many bands are doing the 80s throwback thing that Creeper, for the first time, doesn't feel unique. That being said, this is one of the better 80s pastiches I've been hearing. The hints of backing vocals are pure Steinman, and it does have enough rock in it to still be fun. But there's something about this sound that has always muted melody, and this just doesn't feel as hooky to me as their previous work. So while I'm interested, I can't say I'm excited.

April Art - Not Sorry

I realized sometime along the way that I am fascinated more by voices than anything else. That is what caught my ear about April Art, as Lisa-Marie Watz has one of those voices that hits me just right. Her power and rasp are delightful, and among the best I've heard from a modern modern-rock band, if that isn't too redundant. But she would not be enough without a great song, and the band delivers on that front as well. With heavy riffs launching into a solid groove, and a hook that showcases both their songwriting and Watz's voice, this is a three-minute burst of crunchy joy. They remind me of New Year's Day, but with more attitude, and a grittier sound. This is one of the best songs of the year, I'd say.

A Light Divided - Rain

Speaking of voices, Jaycee is another of those voices that is unique and captivating. Like their last single, "Rain" is a dose of addictive modern rock done to near perfection. The grit in her voice does an expert job of selling the song, which uses the upbeat melody to deliver a message about wearing a smile to hide the struggle of depression. That juxtaposition has long been one of my favorite songwriting tricks, and it doesn't fail here. The band knows how to write hooks, and this one is even more engaging than "Inhale/Exhale". It's definitely an arrow that pierces the black clouds and dissolves them before they can pour on us. The only thing I can say is that I still selfishly want to hear even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment