Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Singles Roundup: Temperance, Miley Cyrus, Art Of Anarchy, & Creeper

It's an angry day here in the singles department.

Temperance – Daruma/No Return

Only one band might be better at hyper-pop metal than Temperance, which means a new album is a big deal. I remember being blown away by "Of Jupiters And Moons", and while the music since hasn't been able to hit me the same way, it's always nice to get another dose of expertly crafted melody. The first two singles from their upcoming record are out, and they continue the trend I've noticed. Each album since I discovered them has been just a bit less interesting than the last. In fact, I was struggling to remember the previous album when this one was announced. After hearing the songs, I understand why. The music whizzes by, and the melodies amp things up, all in a way that almost does too much. The same is true of the production, where the blending of the voices is flatter, and it's harder to pick out the individuals and the way they interact. There just seems to be less drama to the music now, even if it sounds bigger. I'm sure the album will be good, but I'm not as excited as I should be.

Miley Cyrus – Used To Be Young

Oh, Miley. Not too long after "Endless Summer Vacation", she returns with a new single that's better than half of that album. This song not only delivers another fantastic vocal, but it fits right in with the half of the album I loved, which just makes me even more angry. If she could have settled on one sound (the good one), and delivered an entire album in that style, it might be one of the best records of this disappointing year. She didn't, but this single shows she absolutely could have, since obviously there either were more songs written in that style already, or she's still interested in doing that. This song is great, but also terrible, because it makes the "What if?" even louder and harder to ignore.

Art Of Anarchy – Vilified

Album number three from this band means a third different singer. So is it even a band at this point? The problem this time is that by bringing in Jeff Scott Soto, teaming him with Bumblefoot's guitar, this sounds like a discount version of Sons Of Apollo. And considering I don't think that band is all that great to begin with, a lesser version of them is even less interesting. The biggest issue is that this can't possibly feel like a band, as each album features a completely different lineup and sound. It's difficult for me to get invested when history tells me this album will come out, the band will go quiet for a few more years, and if they ever come back it will be in a completely different form. Is this song good enough to make that worth it? Hell no.

Creeper – Black Heaven

Creeper, Creeper, Creeper. You were doing so well, and then you fell victim to 80s garbage nostalgia. I wasn't sold on the first two singles, but now I'm dreading listening to the album. This song is so bad, I have no more hope the record is going to be a contender. This one borrows from 80s goth, which means a synthetic drum beat and croaked vocals that have never heard of the idea of melody. This also makes me a bit angry, since they've dedicated the album to Jim Steinman, who is my foremost musical hero. It's insulting to attach his name to a song this worthless. Boo, Creeper. Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment