Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Album Review: Lola Black - Nothing's Gonna Be Alright

I'm not sure what the word 'buzz' means anymore. As I was reading the preamble to this album, I was informed about the growing profile of Lola Black, and the buzz she has been generating. Granted, I am not plugged into the mainstream of rock where I catch everything, but I had never heard her name, which leaves me wondering just what level of attention is enough to start bragging about. I know PR departments need to do what they need to do, but at some point we begin to tune out when the claims become too outrageous. I laugh when I get a press release about a 'legendary' band who never sold more than a handful of records, and while this isn't that bad, it shares the exaggeration.

On to the record. Lola Black is making her first big swing with this record, teaming up with well-known producer Bob Marlette for an album of slick and modern rock that fits in perfectly with where the charts are right now. The opening title track is the first single, and it draws you in to wanting to hear what else Lola is going to have to offer. With verses that dip into electronic atmospheres, you might get complacent, but then the chorus has a punch and a big hook that are pure radio rock. Lola's voice is strong and clear, and she has plenty of personality to carry the proceedings.

She follows that up with "How To Say Goodbye", which isn't fully a ballad, but is a softer-tinged approach that relies heavier on the emotions Lola can pull out of the melody. It's a beautiful track, and I love seeing rock artist who aren't tricked into believing they have to be heavy and 'tough' all the time. The genre can be so much more than that, and it works very well for an artist like Lola to embrace the entire spectrum of what rock can be.

A couple months ago, Letters From The Fire released a new album, and that brings a comparison to mind. While that band leaned more into the punk and aggressive sides of modern rock, what Lola Black is doing with this record is more in line with that band's first album, which is one that I have grown to love. Filling the void that Letters From The Fire created is exactly what modern rock needs. There is often a dearth of true hooks and emotional resonance in the genre, so hearing Lola Black give us both is a refreshing experience.

Another great track is "All In", which is a good metaphor. I don't know if Lola has indeed gone 'all in' with this record, but if she has the bet has clearly paid off. "Nothing's Gonna Be Alright" is a great mainstream rock album in a time when those are hard to come by. Some people might complain it isn't always heavy enough, but that misses the point. If everything is heavy, it fades into noise. What we get here is a well-balanced album that does exactly what it's supposed to.

The only problem is how the record finishes, with a cover of The Weeknd's "Starboy". It is so completely out of place on an album like this, and it pisses me off. Not only does it stand out because of the rapping feature, but I would be embarrassed to be listening to it when the racial language in the song starts to appear. It's something I want no part of. Thankfully, the song is last so it's easier to skip, but I still don't want a record where I have to remember to hit the 'stop' button so I don't get angry.

Lola Black is saying "nothing's gonna be alright", but I don't agree. With this album, we're mostly on the right track, and it sounds like everything will work out just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment