Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Album Review: Beast In Black - From Hell With Love

A few years ago, Battle Beast splintered, as bands sometimes do. Most of the band carried on, putting out a good record without their former main songwriter, while he started Beast In Black to continue his vision of slightly cheesy, 80s heavy melodic metal. Both albums had their merits, and I'm not here to compare them. What was most notable to me, about the two bands, was the singer chosen to front Beast In Black. He single-handedly dragged down a record that could have been even better than it was. There were moments I didn't realize there wasn't a female guest singer, and others where he sang like fondue. I grew up with Meat Loaf being my first musical love, so believe me, I don't mind some cheese. Beast In Black was a bit much, even for me.

That brings us to album number two, where we hope the band finds their voice and lays down the marker of who they are going to be. That voice is still dependent on Yannis Papadopoulos, who is a polarizing singer. From the very first notes he belts in "Cry Out For A Hero", his high-pitched wailing is a love-it-or-hate-it proposition. Myself, I never have been able to get into those kinds of vocals, and I can't say I am this time either. When he does reign in the volume and sing softer parts, like through the verses of the title track, I like the guy, but the siren impression is too much for me. Thankfully, it is used sparingly once we get through this opener.

Speaking of that title track, it continues the trend I keep seeing of bands paying massive homage to the 80s. I don't get the appeal, to be honest. The synths are that super-fake sound we remember, and there's even a short drum roll leading into the choruses that is a pure electronic kit, and wants to be a new version of "In The Air Tonight". It's a moment that sounds out of place, and draws my focus away from the hook. That shouldn't happen, because it's actually a great song. The band knows how to write cheesy pop metal, and when they focus on doing that without the glitter and smoke machines, they're a less lycanthropic spin on what Powerwolf has been doing. "Sweet True Lies" could easily be a song from that band, which is a big compliment.

The sense I get from the album, though, is the same one I got from the debut; namely that Beast In Black haven't figured out who they are. Yannis tries on at least three or four different voices through the track list, while the songs veer from 80s pop to pure power metal. There's diversity, and then there's wandering. I'm afraid the band is doing a bit more of the latter than they should. That diversion, "Repentless", is too stock-in-trade to be as interesting as the bulk of the record, and because of that it stands out like a sore thumb among the better material.

So let's focus on the good here for a minute. Beast In Black writes great pop metal, which is what they do for almost all of this record. If you remember the early Lordi records, it's that kind of silly fun, but without the gimmick of being monsters. I hear so much music that is a drag, something that is purely fun is always welcome. That's what Beast In Black is; fun. From "Sweet True Lies" to "Unlimited Sin", Beast In Black has stepped up their game on their second album. Look, I would rather forget the 80s ever existed, but it doesn't seem I'm going to be allowed to. Of all the bands that are doing 80s worship, Beast In Black has the right attitude about it. They use in tongue-in-cheek to make something we can laugh and smile at (ok, the laughter might not be intentional). I appreciate that.

"From Hell With Love" is a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment