Friday, February 1, 2019

Singles Roundup: Kim Jennette, Forever Still, Yours Truly, & Madame Mayhem

February is going to be a crazy month, so before I get saddled with a ton of albums to fill my every waking moment, I want to take the opportunity to talk about a few singles that have caught my ear lately, all of which share a particular theme.

Kim Jennette - Love Like Suicide

This was the best song of January, for me. I found it through a recommendation from a recommendation, and it's bits of luck like that which reaffirm the fun of the chase. This song captured my attention from the first seconds I heard it. Kim's voice transitions from soft to loud, with the perfect amount of grit to wring the emotion from the song. When she belts those notes in the chorus, it's absolutely perfect. As the first taste of a solo career, I can't think of anything better. An awesome track.

Forever Still - Rewind

The first single from the band's sophomore album treats us to more of what's great about Forever Still. They are able to play that dark style of modern rock, but do so with melodies that offer hope to play against the guitars. Maja's vocals are powerful, clear, and the catalyst that makes the sound spark. I was a big fan of their debut, and they haven't missed a beat with this song. They will be providing one of the highlights of March.

Yours Truly - Circles

With my favorite band of this style quietly broken up, Yours Truly can take over that mantle if their upcoming EP is as good as their previous one. This song says it damn sure will be. They fill the gap that now exists, since Paramore and those bands have turned to 80s synth-pop. This is ultra melodic pop/punk or alt/rock, whichever you want to call it, and it's a musical sugar rush. The band has a knack for writing songs that burrow in your head and rewire your brain to demand a smile. Crunchy guitars, massive hooks, and feisty vocals. What isn't there to like?

Madame Mayhem - Broken

I remember listening to Madame Mayhem's last album and coming away from it unsure. The record had the right modern rock sound, and her vocals were great, but none of the songs stood out to me. This single changes that perception in three minutes. The guitar work is more interesting, and the melody is stickier than what I remember from their previous work. It does a good job of straddling the line between having attitude and being accessible. If this is a harbinger of something to come, I'm down for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment