Monday, April 29, 2019

The Top Ten Songs Of The Last Five Years (2014-2018)

Recently, I have been in a mood where I have been listening to more tracks on their own, as bands continue to shift their release strategies to include more one-off songs. It's a form of listening that is new to me, and one I'm not sure quite how I feel about. But, what it has done is get me thinking about songs as individual pieces of music, which got me to thinking; what are the best songs of the last five years? Luckily, I have been making and keeping lists of my favorites each year, so putting together a quick composite was an easy task. It also shows me that the album continues to dominate, as only one of these songs was not part of at least an EPs worth of music.

Anyway, here are my picks for the ten (really eleven, because why not?) best songs from 2014 to 2018, in alphabetical order:

Dilana - Maybe Just A Little (From "Dilana" - 2016)

Maybe I'm weird, but what I love about this song is the combination of 90s alternative sounds, and Dilana's staid vocals in the chorus. Her own doubts about herself are captured in that performance, and I love little details like that, where a singer uses their voice to convey the feeling, and not just the lyric.

Ghost - Cirice (From "Meliora" - 2015)

This is the moment Ghost became Ghost. They had written a few good songs, but nothing like this, which still feels like the beginning of something epic. This sounds like what would have happened if Black Sabbath started out in a time when rock bands expected to make the mainstream. It was a moment in time, but what a moment it was.

Halestorm - Vicious (From "Vicious" - 2018)

The current climate is one where we all need a bit of attitude to survive. Halestorm captured that on this song, giving us an anthem of survival for what look like bleak days for humanity. I don't know if it will carry us through to when the fever breaks, but it's the best chance we've got.

Jorn - Save Me (From "Dracula: Swing Of Death" - 2015)

The best chapter of this Album Of The Year winner, the story of Dracula and Mina never sounded so fun. This duet is passionate, heavy, and as infectious as the vampire's disease. It's over-the-top, and that's precisely why it stands apart from the crowd.

Karnataka - Fairytale Lies (From "Secrets Of Angels - 2015)

If you wondered what pop music would sound like if it was cinematic, this is the answer. Hayley Griffiths' voice is so pure and beautiful, and the hook so sweeping, that it almost sounds like a song for a Disney princess. It's better than that, but still induces a smile.

Michael Monroe - One Foot Outta The Grave (2017)

A one-off single for a compilation, this was my favorite song of the year. When I think of what rock and roll is, when distilled, I get the sound of his "Blackout States" album, and this song takes that sound and makes it even better.

Nightingale - Forevermore (From "Retribution" - 2014)

Making sweetly melodic rock is hard, because all too often it becomes watered down and weak. Not so here, as Dan Swano builds a truly magnificent song that has hints of the 80s without becoming a cheesy homage, and a melody that highlights the best parts of his voice. The best part is THAT note he reaches for near the end. You'll know it when you hear it. Damn.

Shiverburn - Burned Alive (From "Road To Somewhere - 2016)

While they were around, I thought Shiverburn would become one of my next favorite bands. That didn't happen, but they did leave us a wonderful album that is capped off by this massive song. They effortlessly strike just the right balance of crunchy, heavy guitars, a bit of attitude, and a huge pop chorus. Every time I listen, I miss them already.

Soen - Opal (From "Lykaia" - 2017)

Melancholy is a difficult feeling to achieve, striking the right balance between the light and the dark sides. Soen have mastered that art, and this song was the crown jewel of an Album Of The Year winner. The song is mournful, yet not without hope. Ugly, but not without beauty. It's some of the most interesting metal being made.

The Spider Accomplice - Butterflies In A Beehive (From "Los Angeles: The Trap" - 2015)

The song on this list that touched me the most. The imagery is uniquely stirring, VK uses her voice's power to amplify the emotion of the song, and the minor-key sound of the chorus is heart-wrenching. This song on their debut EP sold me on becoming a fan, which has paid off in spades since then.

Transatlantic - Black As The Sky (From "Kaleidoscope" - 2014)

These epic prog musicians are just as good when they keeps things short and (relatively) simple. There's sly time signatures, but what makes this song is the vibe; roaring organs like the rock of the 70s, coupled with a wonderfully sing-along hook. Who says prog can't be fun?

Zakk Wylde - Lay Me Down (From "Book Of Shadows II" - 2016)

Zakk's best side is his soulful one, best evidenced on "Book Of Shadows II". This is the highlight of what won Album Of The Year from me, and it's the closest thing to a rock gospel I've heard. As his guitar rips through the solo, it's almost a religious experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment