Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Album Review: Hollow Haze - Between Wild Landscapes And Deep Blue Seas

It isn't often the case, but sometimes a record is like having your tail tucked between your legs. At least that's the way I see Hollow Haze, a group that disbanded when the leader tried to make a bigger mark with some more established names, only to crawl back to his old moniker when that fizzled out. But this isn't the original Hollow Haze, no, this is an entirely new group using the same name. As if that wasn't confusing enough, this record also promises us a brand new sound for the group. So what we have is a band that broke up, then got back together with entirely new members, to play a different style of music, but still use the same name. Huh?

This new version of Hollow Haze is attempting to play a symphonic style of power metal that has bigger sounds, and more drama than before. With a powerful production behind them, they do get the first part of that equation right. This record sounds fantastic, and the epic moments have all the power and punch you could ask for. From an engineering perspective, this record is flawless (and a welcome relief after I've been subjected to some pretty bad production jobs lately).

What is less clear to me is why Hollow Haze decided to become symphonic, and whether they know the proper way to do so. It isn't enough just to throw some string patches on the keyboards and add some sounds in the background. Proper symphonic metal needs to integrate those elements into the core of the compositions. I always say if you can remove the strings and the songs are essentially the same, you're doing it wrong. On this record, the strings don't serve in a prominent enough role for my liking. They aren't buried in the mix, but they don't often have the crux of the song in their hands.

Perhaps I'm focusing on that because the songs themselves aren't strong enough. "Destinations" opens things with a rather stomping riff, but it's one of a very few throughout the record that stands out as anything but standard. Couple that with a set of melodies that aren't particularly hooky, and it leaves this record feeling flat, even with the layers of sound giving it depth. There are exceptions, with "It's Always Dark Before The Dawn" having a little more bite in the melody, and standing out as something to remember, but the majority of the record simply doesn't have that kind of appeal.

Everything here is played and sung beautifully, but that's not enough to win me over. It's important, but great songs can stand up to an array of mistakes, while even perfection can't lift mediocrity to the highest rung. Unfortunately, that's what this record strikes me as. It's perfectly pleasant to listen to, but there isn't a single moment that makes me believe I'm listening to a great band, nor one I have to go back and hear again. This falls into that category of records I will listen to if it comes on, but I will probably never choose to play of my own volition.

As I've noted before, I've heard so much music now that I find myself less and less impressed by the glut in the middle of the curve. That's where Hollow Haze sits. They're perfectly fine. Is that enough for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment