Friday, July 5, 2019

Singles Roundup: Richie Kotzen, Hayley Griffiths, Twin Temple, Killswitch Engage, and Volbeat

The summer music slate is looking quite bleak, if I'm being honest. July and August have few records that are demanding my attention, so let's take a moment to look at some singles instead, and see if they offer any hope for the near future.

Richie Kotzen - Venom

Last year, Richie Kotzen put out two singles that were excellent, sounded like The Winery Dogs, and pointed at potentially a great new record from him. That may or may not come, but this year's first bit of new music is decidedly weaker than where we left him. This song doesn't have the blazing licks or sticky melodies that "Riot" did. That song made my list of favorites last year, and this one wouldn't even make a list of monthly favorites. Hopefully Richie has something better up his sleeve, because knowing what his last few solo albums were like, my enthusiasm is dying.

Hayley Griffiths - Haunted

The second single from the former Karnataka singer is even better than the first one. Here, we find her playing that same kind of dramatic, theatrical rock/metal. She has one of the clearest and strongest voices of any rock singer with a classical background, and that lets her give the melody a bite similar singers can't muster. I haven't heard if something bigger is coming down the road, but if it is, this is the kind of song that gets expectations raised quite high. I loved "Secrets Of Angels", and I love this song too. Keep it up, Hayley!

Twin Temple - Satan's A Woman

The debut album from these satanic doo-wop purveyors was a fun, retro blast. It wasn't the kind of thing that endures, but it has its moments. This new track captures all the best elements of their record. It's definitely a pastiche, and gimmicky, but it's also a lot of fun. If Ghost is a band that's been putting a shine on Satan in a more mainstream sort of music, Twin Temple can make Satan sexy. And if the title of this song is right, she certainly has my attention.

Killswitch Engage - Unleashed

I am a Howard fan, but Jesse's return to the band was quite good. Their last album was not, and I fear this single points further down that road. The big, anthemic choruses that defined metalcore are absent from this song. Jesse sounds good, but he's not given anything interesting to sing. Perhaps that band wants to prove they are still aggressive and heavy, but this is the sort of thing that pushes me away. Killswitch works when they can play to the heavy and the melodic. Heck, they defined an entire genre by doing that. So why aren't they doing it anymore?

Volbeat - Last Day Under The Sun

I'm worried about this record, now more than ever. Their last album was their most pop-leaning, and even though I thought it was fantastic, they were losing their identity. By the time this song hit my ears, I'm not sure I would even be able to tell you it was Volbeat, if not for the vocals. They are now fully mainstream, and without either component of what made their sound so fresh and unique. This song is so limp, and devoid of character that I'm preparing for the worst. Volbeat's best days surely look behind them at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment