Friday, October 28, 2022

Singles Roundup: Blink 182, Dream State, Jimmy Eat World, & Powerwolf

It's once again time to look into the grab-bag and see what some recent singles have to tell us.

Blink-182 – Edging

After a decade, Blink 182 is back together in their classic form. I suppose I should be excited, but I'm really not. Aside from the band drifting away from anything I cared about even before Tom left, this song is everything I would be afraid of from a long-simmering reunion. Despite pushing fifty, they decided to make their entire comeback a drawn-out cum joke, which really isn't even a good one. Couple that with a mediocre song, and Tom's voice not sounding anything like it used to, and this barely registers as Blink 182 as I remember them. I'll still play "Enemy Of The State", but I don't think I want to hear what else they have in store for us. Not if this was the best they could muster.

Dream State – Taunt Me

I loved Dream State's album, and the EP that proceeded it. They were releases that caught my ear with a wonderful blend of accessible melodies and post-hardcore angst. This single opens a new chapter, as CJ has moved on from the band, and it feels to me like a lot of their personality disappeared with her now absent voice. I could feel everything she put into the songs, and the hints of her accent coming through when she screamed was charming. This new song is still good, but it's almost too perfectly played and sung. I'm missing the power and the passion. I don't feel this song like I did "Hand In Hand".

Jimmy Eat World – Place Your Debts

Originally, I was a bit put off by the band's decision to release a few singles instead of an album. I've changed my mind on that, both because I've spent a lot of the year diving deeper into their back catalog anyway, but also because these two singles they have put out this year sound like the start of one of those cycles where their orbit and mine are further away from each other. Their slow-burn songs are always a bit harder for me to swallow, and this one is no exception. It's got an appeal, but an entire album in the band's current mindset doesn't sound like it would be up my alley right now.

Powerwolf – My Will Be Done

The wolves are back with a one-off single, and they continue to be Powerwolf. There's nothing wrong with being true to your sound, and Powerwolf is certainly the best at dramatic power metal. This is one of their trademark up-tempo songs, with a staccato chorus that drills the rhythmic melody into your head by the third time it comes along. I'll be honest and say I prefer the band when they're playing their slower and more dramatic ballads, but these songs are plenty of fun as well. You can't go too wrong with Powerwolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment