Monday, October 31, 2022

Singles Roundup: Halestorm's Big Mistake, & Katatonia's Return

Two songs give us plenty to talk about today:

Halestorm - Mine

This comes from the new 'deluxe edition' of "Back From The Dead", and I think it makes a pretty good case for why it didn't make the record proper. It's a decent enough song, but the extra layer of synths don't fit with the vibe of the album, and Lzzy doesn't deliver the chorus with the same fire and passion. Or perhaps there's just too much noise for her to fight through. Either way, it would be in the lesser half of the album if it had been included.

The bigger issue, for me, is the 'deluxe edition' existing at all. This song is pissing me off, because I own a copy of "Back From The Dead". I love Halestorm, and I was happy to be able to put a CD on my shelf, and support them (as much as a purchase does - admittedly, that's only so much). Just a couple months later, though, they're telling me I now have to buy another copy if I want these additional songs.

No.

This garbage has got to stop. Taking advantage of fans is not cool, no matter who is doing it. There's something dishonest about keeping silent about extra material you know you are going to release down the line, with the intent of getting the die-hard fans to buy the first version, and then the 'better' one as well. I know making money in the business is hard, but this is an ethical issue. It's one so many bands fail.

The deluxe edition should have been announced at the same time, and we should have had the option of choosing which one we wanted right then and there. I would have had no problem paying a couple extra dollars for the deluxe edition. That would have been more than fair. What isn't fair is trying to get me to buy the same thing twice. It feels cheap, it feels exploitative, and frankly, I expected better from them. Lzzy has always come across as both a cool person, and a big fan. It's disappointing to see her band embracing this bit of corporate wallet-raiding.

I will not be taking part. Not even if the next song is better.

Katatonia - Atrium

Since it's all doom-and-gloom, how about some Katatonia? They are consistently melancholy, which brings up interesting questions about whether it's the light or the dark that sticks in our minds more often. Their last album was an experiment, featuring some electronic elements I did not like at all, even if they album grew on me a bit. This song returns to Katatonia's usual fare, which is a beautiful yet sad tone. Their sound is haunting, but like a ghost, sometimes it's hard to get a grip on.

Katatonia's sound is beautiful, and I love the tones they conjure. Listening to this song is a lovely time, but I worry it is going to fade away from my memory, much like that ghost I mentioned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment