Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Quick Reviews: Scott Stapp & Leaves Eyes

It's another BOGO special. Ok, you're not paying me, but you get the point.

Scott Stapp - Higher Power

It's hard to believe I'm saying this, but Scott Stapp's last solo album was actually pretty good. For all the crap Creed (rightfully) takes, he came through the other side of a host of issues and made a record that washed away some of the sour taste memories of his 'holier than thou' days still leave. Not all of it, but at least a little.

His latest album continues on a similar path, and his collaborators have once again helped him put together an album that sounds entirely in line with where modern rock is, playing to his strengths as one of the more unusual voices you're ever going to hear. The way he yarls a melody is unique, and it certainly is able to make some hooks far more memorable than they might be sung by any other voice.

The up-tempo, heavy numbers on this record do just that. Stapp feels comfortable singing them, and they have solid hooks that rival the usual far you would hear on the radio (if you dare turn it on). It's a clear indication that Stapp still has something to offer, and it almost leads us to an album I would tell you to listen to. The problem is that there are also three slow ballads on this record, and as a schmuck who loves ballads, these aren't good. The soft and slow nature is antithetical to what good his voice can do, and they are horribly bland and boring. It's just enough to tip the scales from good album to ok album.

Still, that might be enough of a surprise to be worth a peek.

Leaves Eyes - Myths Of Fate

No matter how many times I try to dip my toe into this genre, I never find myself wanting to wade any further. Leaves Eyes is good at what they do, but have you ever had certain sounds that don't appeal to your ears? That's what I feel this variety of symphonic metal to be. I don't understand the need to throw harsh vocals in from time to time. The whole 'beauty and the beast' thing goes against the very nature of this music being melodic. Perhaps it would work better if they were baritone clean vocals that could mesh with the emotion of the lead vocal? I'm not sure.

The other thing is that, no matter how many singers I hear who get praised to the heavens, I'm uncomfortable with the more classical vocal approach. It's a tone of voice I don't enjoy, and I've never thought it meshes very well with the power of metal. There are good songs on this record, and I think I would like them a fair amount if the band's sound was different, but I'm not being won over by how they are presented here.

The other thing is that with the rather digital production going along with the classical vocals, these bands never sound heavy to me at all. It comes across being loud music played softly, and it makes it very hard for there to be palpable energy to get me involved. I guess this genre will always elude me.

No comments:

Post a Comment