Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Singles Roundup: Daughtry, Anette Olzon, Nightmare, & Bon Jovi

Another week, another crop of new songs to talk about.

Daughtry - Pieces

It was nice to hear on his last album that Daughtry had returned to his roots, and left behind most of the lighter modern pop touches that had pushed me away. This new song follows suit, sounding quite a bit like a track from his debut album, if you put it through a slightly darker filter. The guitars are a bit lower, rumbling with just the right amount of heaviness, while his voice defies time. When he reaches for a bit of grit in the chorus, it takes me right back to the old days. It doesn't hurt that the hook of the song feels like it was written back then too, and if anything, is slightly less pop than when he was at his most roking. That's an interesting turn of events, and it tells me Daughtry might still have something left to offer. I'm not sure if he can deliver entire records anymore, but I'll take what I can get.

Anette Olzon - Day Of Wrath

The year is still early, and I'm already feeling overwhelmed with disappointments. Look, I love Anette's voice, but these songs just aren't doing it for me. I said when the first single came out that she seems to get Magnus Karlsson's worst material, and I stand by that statement. The approach of pairing her with clipped choruses and harsh guest vocals doesn't work for me at all. Anette is best when she is soaring and melodic, and this solo album sounds like it going to be in line with her last, which I didn't think could hold a candle to either the Allen/Olzon albums Magnus wrote, nor the two albums she put out as a member of The Dark Element. The third most interesting of her outlets isn't good enough, sorry.

Nightmare - Saviors Of The Damned

Band turmoil is rarely a good thing. For the third time in three albums, Nightmare has a new singer. I absolutely loved "Dead Sun" with Maggy Luyten singing, and I still think it's a tremendous record that shows just how heavy and aggressive power(ish) metal can be. "Aeternum" took a while to warm up to, but once I did it became a worthy follow up, with a voice that opened up different melodic contours. This first taste of yet another new singer is not nearly as encouraging. The bad is still playing their heavy version of power metal, but this singer can't match their power at all. She sounds overmatched, and at times disappears into the mix. The melody itself isn't the greatest, but it's the balance that is off. She doesn't sound like the right singer for this band, and I get it. Finding that many people to be the right fit means you're probably going to miss eventually. That might be this one.

Bon Jovi - Legendary

I know they still sell plenty of records and tickets, but are there really many people who like what Bon Jovi has been doing for the last twenty years? He certainly matured into the age of dad rock, and I suppose I have to give him credit for not trying to portray himself as still being young and dangerous. Jon knows his limitations, and he plays to them accordingly. The biggest issue is that whether it's the framing of his songwriting, or his obviously diminishing voice, the songs lately come across entirely bland. He can't sing with passion, and his stories don't have hooks the way Tommy and Gina got us to pray along with them. This song is another one that is rock without rocking in the slightest, and serves mostly to remind me how long it's been since Bon Jovi has felt vital.

No comments:

Post a Comment