Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Album Review: Bloodbound - Rise Of The Dragon Empire

It's been a long, strange road. I heard Bloodbound right as "Nosferatu" was released, and I was quickly won over by the fun they brought back to power metal. What I didn't know then is that, regardless of who was in the lineup, they would be a band defined by their lack of identity. Over the years, that would become extremely troubling, as it's hard to know what to make of a band that doesn't know what to make of themselves. They have made records that are essentially tributes to Iron Maiden, Soilwork (one of my favorite records ever, by the by), Judas Priest, and Sabaton. We expect bands to evolve, and I welcome growth, but the wholesale shifts from one band's identity to another with each record is bizarre.

So who are Bloodbound now?

As a philosophical question, I don't think I can answer that. As a practical matter, this album finds Bloodbound turning in a direction more influenced by Blind Guardian and Nightwish. The title track, which was released prior to the record, showcases this new sound with a main theme that has a medieval or even Celtic flair. The use of wind instrument sounds is something entirely new for Bloodbound, and is a rather drastic shift from the orchestral overtones of the previous record.

This time around, the choirs backing the choruses are even bigger than ever, which is another cue back to Blind Guardian. They don't take on the thrashier aspects of that band, but the feeling is persistent through most of the record. It doesn't stop "Slayer Of Kings" from being a powerful piece of work, but it does keep it from ringing as true as if the band had a history devoted to making this kind of music. I can't help but think of each of these albums as experiments, which diminishes how much I invest in them.

"Magical Eye" features melodies that are catchy, but I also immediately hear in my head being sung by either Floor Jansen or Anette Olzon, given how eerily similar they are to later Nightwish. At a certain point, I'm torn between two very different thoughts; one being that Bloodbound is once again absorbing someone else's identity at the expense of their own, but also that they are very good at wearing these other personas. I can't recall any other bands that have so easily taken on so many guises, while doing them all justice.

Tht's what I find most frustrating about Bloodbound. Ever since the first record, they have written a lot of good power metal songs that I should be more fond of than I am. The issue is still that every good song they write is tarnished by the comparison to what it sounds like. Let me use this example. When Soen put out their first record, it was so much a clone of Tool that even the good parts were hard to embrace. They grew over the years, to the point where they are now one of the most striking and unique metal bands. Bloodbound hasn't done that. Instead of using a base to then graft their own sound onto, they continue to wear bands like robes, tossing each one in the wash for a fresh one when it becomes soiled.

So it comes down to this. Bloodbound is a decent band, and "Rise Of The Dragon Empire" is a fun little power metal romp. However, it never gives you any sense of who Bloodbound are, because it's clear by now the band doesn't know either. At least for me, that diminishes the fun. I'm probably being too hard on this album, considering that it's good at what it aims for, but I'm not going to apologize for that. At a certain point, you have to draw a line somewhere, and Bloodbound's usurping of other's creativity is too much for me. They're pretty good, but half the credit goes to whoever they're inspired by at any given moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment