Monday, October 5, 2020

Album Review: Ascension Of The Watchers - Apocrypha

I think at the start of this review I have to mention that there is once again drama surrounding vocalist Burton C Bell's other band, Fear Factory. The album they turned into their label three years ago is now undergoing some 'renovations', which include a crowd-funding campaign to cover the costs. I say this because Bell has called that a scam, and pretty much says he has nothing to do with whatever is going on in Fear Factory at the moment, because he's focused on this band, and this album. Given the legacy of Fear Factory, and the easy attention that name can demand, that makes it quite a statement of what Bell thinks of this album. Is he right?

Ten years in the making, Ascension Of The Watchers newest album is a lighter take on the mechanical metal Bell is known for being the voice of. Between the tight drum rhythms, and the tone of his voice, the artificiality of Fear Factory exists in this music as well, but with a gothic tinge instead of the usual metallic rage. Bell's voice is deeper here, but retains that feeling of plasticity that at times sounds unnatural. Maybe it's over-processed to achieve the desired effect, but it does play into the coldness the album trades in.

Here's the rub; this album plays with atmospherics and moods, and that is one of the hardest things to achieve in music. When you are focused on creating a feeling, particularly a subdued one like on this record, keeping the songs moving is a tall order. Unfortunately, they aren't able to do that often enough. Many of these songs are moving slowly, and without much energy, which leads to them barely leaving a dent when they hit. There isn't enough weight behind the compositions to overcome the wait for the point to come. With lengthy verses of droning notes and barely melodic vocals, it's a test of patience I found myself losing.

Between the songs without much melodic appeal, and Bell's sullen vocals, the record is darkness piled atop darkness. As I listened, I simply could not find it in myself to want to go down that path. I have talked before about not wanting to listen to music that intentionally stirs negative emotions in the listener, even if they are helpful to the artist's psyche, and that's pretty much where I stand with this record. Repeated exposure to this record can only stir melancholy and depression, and introducing that into my mind isn't dangerous, per se, but it's stupid.

And with a solid hour of music here, it's too much of a sad thing for me. I'm not interested in holding myself down for that long, nor am i interested in spending so long trying desperately to see the bright side. I'm not sure if there is one, and even if there is, I don't see how it can pay off the effort.

So no, I did not enjoy "Apocrypha". What I heard was a flat, sad album. I have no interest in subjecting myself to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment