Monday, February 15, 2021

Album Review: Pale Waves - Who Am I?

A lot of people criticized Pale Waves debut album for being a clone of The 1975. Since I never listened to that band, I didn't hear the comparison, but I wouldn't care even if it was the truth. What mattered was that "My Mind Makes Noises" was a great record of sad-ass, synth heaven pop/rock. With cold atmospheres and Heather Baron Gracie's detached vocal delivery, they mastered what I called 'Daria rock'. Despite not really being my usual cup of tea, I was won over by that record, and I heard far more promise in Pale Waves than the majority of critics seemed to.

For album number two, the band has undergone a sizeable shift in their approach. Gone are the cold synths, and in their place are far more organic instruments. Gone is Heather's emotionless deliver, and in its place a more passionate delivery. Gone is the influence of The 1975, and in its place a throwback to early 00s alternative rock. When Heather mentioned Avril Lavigne as an influence, she wasn't lying.

That was readily apparent on "Change", which signals the turn as the lead-off track on the record. It is absolutely a slice of nostalgic rock that would have fit in right alongside "I'm With You" and "Complicated". So why the change? "Who Am I?" is a record about self exploration and pride. Throughout the record, and the accompanying videos, Heather is taking control of her life and explicitly (in both senses) embracing her status as part of the LGBTQ community. Elton John for years got by putting his identity in the background by singing songs filled with 'you' as a pronoun. Heather doesn't do that, telling us proudly that "She's My Religion". I'm rather surprised that even now, with as far as society has come, it feels a bit shocking to hear her say it so clearly.

Compared to "My Mind Makes Noises", this album paints with a fuller color palate. Heather can still pull back in certain verses, but she sings with more power and emotion than ever before. While previously it felt almost as if the point of Pale Waves was to have no feeling whatsoever, now they are making the human connection to their listeners. The band follows suit, with the instruments resonating far more than the synths could before. Everything is a bit more technicolor compared to the paleness of songs like "Television Romance". Both then and now tell similar stories, but the tone gives the songs different meanings.

Clearly, they are growing into this new sound. While we get songs like "Change" and "Wish U Were Here" that have big pop hooks that become infectious even on the first listen, there's also songs like "I Just Needed You" where Heather's attempt at being sultry falls flat. The vocal run on the extended not through the chorus shows some of the limitations of her voice. She has a great tone, but there are some approaches she struggles to pull off effectively. That song is the worst offender.

When the band is most effective is when they embrace their youth. Both in terms of a more up-tempo approach and Heather leaning into a younger syntax, when these early twenty-somethings sound like who they are, they make compelling music. I don't quite buy them the same way when they are trying for something more mature. Heather hasn't yet managed to elevate her words to fit those tones. Or perhaps its as simple as her voice not having the right weathering to make me believe she isn't still a young woman nearer the start of her journey than at major crossroads.

In a brief 34 minutes, Pale Waves has changed everything we know about them. They have claimed a new identity, and taken the chance to show us more of themselves. That is admirable, and making a good record after changing direction isn't an easy thing to do. I'll be honest and say I do miss some of the aura of "My Mind Makes Noises", but "Who Am I?" is a more important record for them. They have pulled it off fairly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment