Monday, January 24, 2022

Ranking Meat Loaf's Duets

I had this thought in the back of my head for a while, but with the passing of Meat Loaf, it feels like the proper time to dive into this topic.

Throughout his career, a hallmark of Meat Loaf's albums and live shows are his duets. It started right off the bat (pardon the pun), and continued on until the very end. Some might say it became a cliche, but it was part of the ethos, and if Meat and Jim Steinman both initially saw the music as scenes in a theatrical story, it only made sense to bring in other voices. A monologue can only go on so long before it gets boring, so maybe they were on to something by letting us see how Meat's voice played off someone else.

Many of his duets are among his best songs, so today I want to rank my favorites. This is not a comprehensive list of his duets, and I guarantee your opinion will differ from mine, but I want to talk a little bit about some of the music that has meant so much to me over the years.

1. Couldn't Have Said It Better

An unconventional choice, I know. I can't even use the excuse of it being the first one I heard, as I often do to justify some of my odd opinions. This song features my favorite of his duet partners (Patti Russo), and is the most powerful sounding of them all. I'm not sure if Meat ever rocked harder, or if his voice ever blended in better with anyone. This stomping song is one I've listened to countless times, and it never loses its spark.

2. I'd Lie For You (And That's The Truth)

Does this song rip-off Jim Steinman's sound? Absolutely it does, but it's done so well I don't care in the slightest. Featuring Patti again, Meat gets to sing about bringing down the moon with all the drama that would entail. It's a heck of a ride, and kudos go to perhaps the best Steinman son title he never wrote.

3. What About Love?

This song was buried in the back half of "Bat III", and the more notable songs were given to more famous singers, but it's Patti's duet with Meat that once again stole the show. She could stand toe-to-toe with Meat, and she is the one who sounds in control through this song. I love the energy, and the melody, but it's the way these two fit together than makes it so great.

4. I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)

Meat's biggest hit, and one of the biggest (easily solved) mysteries in music, this twelve minute saga gets taken to new heights when Mrs Loud comes in to remind Meat of everything he would need to do for her, and how he will ultimately fail her. As great as the song is, nothing beats the power in her voice as she asks if he can "hose me down with holy water if I get to hot". Damn.

5. It's All Coming Back To Me Now

A lot of people hate this version of the song. I get it, since it is so different than how Steinman envisioned it. But it's such a great song, I think it works in this context too. It didn't need to be a duet, of course, and Marion Raven sounds too young for Meat, but I appreciate the less Gothic take they provided here. The song's beauty is accentuated, rather than it's power.

6. Paradise By The Dashboard Light

The classic. I do love this song, but it's the third act that always has, and always will be the star of the show. I can do without the first section, and the play-by-play, but when Ellen Foley comes in, the song becomes magic. Their back and forth is great, and it leads to maybe the best bit of any song Meat ever sang. "I'm praying for the end of time, so I can end my time with you" is one of my favorite lines ever, and it caps off a heck of a journey.

7. Dead Ringer

I think this is the only song Cher appears on I've ever liked. She certainly has the personality to stand up to Meat, and they go back-and-forth in this jaunty little number. It's lightweight by comparison to the others Steinman wrote, but it captures the pounding of your heart when you see someone across the bar you don't think you can live without... or with.

8. If This Is The Last Kiss (Let's Make It Last All Night)

One more featuring Patti, this song saved the second half of "Welcome To The Neighborhood" from collapsing into a run of bland ballads. With a bit more blues for Patti to lean into, she proved yet again to be the spark that brought out the best in Meat.

9. Bat Attitude

Yes, Meat and Roger Daltry don't sound different enough in this production to make it the best of duets. Yes, it's problematic 80s Meat Loaf. No, I don't love it any less for those things.

10. Like A Rose

Rather than pick the creepy love song Meat sang with his daughter, I'll instead pick this vulgar one he sang with Jack Black. There's a sentence I never should have had to write.... This is no classic, and the lyrics are rather weak, but the chorus of the song has such bounce and power to it, it wins you over. Even when you know it shouldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment