Monday, January 23, 2023

My Top Five Bruce Springsteen Albums

Bruce Springsteen has been a running joke in our bi-annual conversations for as long as we have been doing them. It's been long enough I don't even remember how it started, but one of the unexpected things that has happened over the years is that I have found myself growing more fond of the guy. I am by no means a die-hard, nor do I want to listen through his entire discography, but I found myself in 2022 being drawn to aspects of his sound and writing more than I ever had before. I'm not sure how to explain that, but I suppose it means the joke is on me.

As I said, I'm not going to run through his entire slate of records. His five best, in my eyes, should suffice. These would be those.

1. Darkness On The Edge Of Town

Before these last few months, this would not have been my answer. Something happened recently, where an album I always liked somewhat finally hit me from the right angle. The stark atmosphere of the record imbues it with a different sense of power, both emotionally in the slower songs and melodically in the hookier ones. It's a wonderful balance of Bruce the blue-collar poet and Bruce the hit-making songwriter. Perhaps it was as simple as this being a record about finding hope when it doesn't seem to be available, and that was what I needed to hear. Regardless, I can't snark about being a fan.

2. Magic

I'm not sure why this record seemed to get so much less attention than even the inferior records that came after. Maybe people didn't want to hear Bruce having fun anymore, but this collection of songs that took more influence than usual from 60s pop radio is the sort of diversion we needed. Bruce doesn't write enough songs that lean into that side of his personality, but he's more than capable when he does. I absolutely love "You'll Be Comin' Down", especially when he says, "the satin sky's gone candy-apple green". That's the sort of tinge of poetry I can't help but be won over by.

3. The Rising

Despite being too long, there's so much to enjoy about this record. It is very much a piece of its time, but given how much that is burned into the fabric of the public consciousness, it doesn't feel nearly as dated as you might think. We were rebuilding our psyche with the cement mixed from ashes and tears, and this record captures both the triumph of seeing a crane raise our smiles, but also the weariness of how much work it takes to get there. Sometimes I forget.

4. Born In The USA

For the longest time, I refused to listen to this record, simply because of how much I hated the synth from the title track. I'm still not a fan of synths, in general, but I have softened with time. That title track has gotten less annoying, possibly because I like to laugh at how it gets misinterpreted, but it's just one in a long line of hit singles. I'm rather amazed at how successful the record was, as Springsteen's writing is still rather subtle to have been so popular. This is the record that sounds dated, and I seldom want to spend that much time in the 80s, but it's hard to deny it was done better than the majority of its peers.

5. Born To Run

Yes, it's down this low. I know it's considered his undeniable classic, and one of the greatest albums ever made, but it's a three song record. "Thunder Road" and the title track are both legendary for good reason. I'm not nearly as fond of "Jungleland" as everyone else, but I do at least understand why it has the reputation it does. The rest of the record is the problem, as I come out of it every time not remembering anything about what I just listened to. Springsteen was being an artiste, and because of that the record lacked compelling songs. He proved what he set out to prove, but listening to someone tell you how great they are isn't always as enjoyable for us as it is for them. That's what this record is to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment