Thursday, February 23, 2023

Album Review: Siena Root - Revelation

I wrote not long ago about my favorite bands/albums of the new wave of vintage rock, because that is a sound I want to love far more regularly than I do. Siena Root is a prime example of both sides of that equation, as since I first heard them, they have had the wonderfully organic sound of timeless rock, but haven't had the songs to quite back it up and stick in my mind. That has been true of so many bands, and if I'm not mistaken, I found Siena Root around the time I first heard of Lykantropi. Both fell into the same quagmire, but Lykantropi rose above that by putting out a record in "Tales To Be Told" that was a unique and captivating experience. Can Siena Root follow suit? And can I write the rest of the review without sounding like Dr. Seuss?

As before, this album is a confounding mix of excitement and disappointment. Let's start with the bright side. The band has a firm grasp on production, and how to make music that sounds like it will be as relevant decades from now as it does in the moment, or even decades ago. The guitars have the perfect level of saturation where they never sound artificial, or as if they're forcing things trying to be heavy. The drums have that bit of cardboard clap you don't hear replicated by sample replacement and loads of studio polish.

Then there's Zubaida Solid, who delivers the songs with a lower voice that echoes out of her chest. When bits of reverb are put on, it feels authentic, as if she can project and ring out like that if she wants to. There's definitely some similarity to Blues Pills' Elin Larsson, and she's wonderfully suited to this kind of music. Sonically, there's nothing to fault with Siena Root.

Now we come to the not so bright side, which is yet again the songwriting. These bands who worship at the altar of classic rock tend to come out with songs that are too subtle and not melodic enough, not realizing that Led Zeppelin and those bands have had fifty years of non-stop airplay for us to absorb their songs through pure repetition alone. New bands need stronger hooks, bigger choruses, and more moments that perk my ears and draw me in.

Lots of this record sounds great, and is enjoyable enough while I'm listening to it, but once the record is done, I stop and ask myself what I was just listening to. I can't pick out any riffs and vocal lines still rattling around in my head. If I don't have something stick with me, I'm not going to feel the need to go back and listen to the record again. That's what made that Lykantropi record I mentioned earlier so special. Despite being moody and subtle, the harmonies burrowed their way into my mind. Siena Root comes closest on "Dusty Roads", but there just isn't as much rope for me to wrap my fingers around.

Every time, I hope the next record is going to be the one that makes me a believer, and almost every time I am left wondering if my expectations are out-of-whack. Maybe I'm asking for something from this music the people who love it aren't interested in, and I'm the one at fault. Whatever the case, Siena Root has once again delivered music that is timeless, but I won't have much time for.

No comments:

Post a Comment