Friday, April 14, 2023

Album Review: Archon Angel - II

Certain singers have what I can only describe as 'boring' voices. Zak Stevens is one of them. I don't mean that as a criticism, by the way. There are at least three Circle II Circle albums I genuinely love, but I would be hesitant to ignore the fact his voice has an odd flatness to it that certainly takes some getting used to. It also means songwriting is of the utmost importance, because I don't think he has enough charisma as a singer to overcome a lackluster melody.

That's why Circle II Circle has always been such a frustrating band. When they hit the mark, like on "The Burden Of Truth", they're amazing. When they don't hit the mark, it's a slog to get through a whole record. Archon Angel is a different band, of course, but they fit into the same category. I know I covered their first album, but I honestly can't remember a single thing about it. That tells you what you need to know coming into this second album.

The music of Archon Angel is designed to sound like classic Savatage/early Circle II Circle. I get why this can't be a Savatage record, but creating a new band that sounds so much like Circle II Circle doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Shouldn't a new project have its own identity? I would tend to think so. I would also think it would be easier to get people to pay attention to a new release from a band name they might have heard before, as opposed to this awkward set of words.

Yes, I realize none of that should matter if the songs deliver. That's a bit of a mixed bag, to be honest. Songs like "Fortress" are reminiscent of the best Circle II Circle tracks, with plenty of power and a big chorus. But every song like that is balanced on the other side by something like "Away From The Sun", which doesn't do much to escape the flatness. Much of these Archon Angel songs are in that 'ok, but not great' range, which is where music is its most frustrating. There isn't much to say about music that is fine enough, but you know you aren't going to remember.

That's where we find ourselves when the record is done. It was a pleasant time spent listening, and there are a handful of good songs I'll be happy to hear again, but as a whole record I can't say I'm going to be drawn to spend fifty minutes at a time ever listening to this. It isn't consistently great, and it also doesn't do anything Zak's other bands haven't already done. So not only is this average, but it sounds so much like records that are great, and have years and decades of lived-in experience. There's no way this can ever win that kind of uphill battle.

I'm not sure why they ever took that challenge on, frankly. This result seemed pre-destined.

No comments:

Post a Comment