Monday, January 29, 2024

Singles Roundup: Bruce Dickinson, Yours Truly, Whom Gods Destroy, Smash Atoms, and Jules & The Howl

This batch of singles is quite the kaleidoscope of different sounds and styles.

Bruce Dickinson - Rain On The Graves

My concerns about a new album twenty years down the line were assuaged by the first single. This second single puts me back on my nerves, as this is perhaps the worst solo song I've ever heard from Bruce. Yes, this is worse than the glam record he made. Yes, this is worse than when he tried to rap. This song's spoken word verses and weak chorus might work as part of the cheesy old horror video they put out, but it doesn't work as a song at all. It makes Bruce sound old and out-of-touch, and has absolutely none of the good things I love his music for. Now I need to get my red pen ready.

Yours Truly - Call My Name

There's no word yet if this is a one-off or a harbinger of more to come, but Yours Truly is once again shifting their tone and exploring new avenues. After the experimental modernity of their last EP, this song slots in-between that sound and their "Self Care" record. They continue to be masters of emo-pop, using elements of pop-punk, but in ways that have emotional depth rather than snarky middle-fingers. Mikaela is her usual commanding presence, and the slightly darker tone indicates growing up means realizing the good times never get so good again. Count me in for a whole record of this.

Whom Gods Destroy - In The Name Of War

The remnants of Sons Of Apollo reform in this guise, and the results are pretty much the same. It's sludgy heavy metal with both groove and technical playing, trying to bridge the gap between modern metal and classic prog metal. I don't know if it can possibly do that, but I like that this song is more straightforward, because that's actually where Sons Of Apollo were at their best. This is no classic, but the heavy tones fit better with Dino Jelusick's voice than they did with Jeff Scott Soto, so if the rest of the record doesn't stray from this formula, it could be a solid entry in a field I'm not always keen on.

Smash Atoms - Down

Our theory of music being cyclical hasn't always hit the mark, but Smash Atoms plays into that. They do nothing on their first single to hide their immense Alice In Chains influence. The same tones and haunting vocals are present here, and it's amazing to me how it still sounds both fresh and unique, despite it being a thirty year old sound. In some ways, you could say this actually sounds more like AIC than what the band morphed into currently does. In any event, while I might not have been into the grunge scene at the time, I'm quite digging this song, and I'm looking forward to a record in this style much more than any of the dozens of 80s flavored albums that will be coming along.

Jules & The Howl - The Howl

Music serves different purposes, depending on our needs. For someone like me, music is a way to purge negative thoughts into a flurry of obscure metaphors that are honest without being understood. For someone like Jules, music is the force that gives her energy, the lifeblood that pumps through her veins. "The Howl" is her new mission statement, a declaration that through her music she has found her voice, and is going to be unabashedly Jules. It takes a remarkable voice to be able to properly howl, and Jules has always been blessed with that gift. Here, she uses the blues groove of the band's power to confidently assert herself as a rocking force, which is a feeling I wish I could feel for myself. Jules knows who she wants to be, and what she wants her music to stand for, which is more than we can say about a lot of artists. Howl at the moon, and just maybe it will echo through the still of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment