Monday, December 3, 2018

Album Review: Callout - Thief

Social media, like all things, is a mixed blessing. We all know the pitfalls, and the endless stream of negativity out there, but there is also a positive side. Through it, I have been able to find (and sometimes establish relationships) with bands I would have never known about otherwise. Callout is one of them. They are a group I encountered in the world of social media who would have otherwise flown under my radar. And even though there is more music out there than I could ever listen to, it's nice to know that the odds of finding the next great thing are just a little bit higher because of the sometimes soul-sucking technology.

Callout fits into that category of bands I keep finding more of; female-fronted modern rock with a mainstream/pop appeal. I don't like using the gendered description, but I know there are people out there who stupidly won't give the band a chance if they see it, and because I think it's important to support the inclusion of more women in the scene.

Their sound is on the darker edge of the style, mostly due to the vocals, which aren't the bright and sharp tone that so many similar bands utilize. Becky has a voice that is a bit lower and duskier, which wards off any criticism of the band sounding too youthful. If anything, they sound more mature than their years, with their songs relying on more nuanced melodies than I would have expected. A lot of bands hit you over the head with an onslaught of aggression and hooks, whereas Callout is restrained and waits for the songs to grow. It's a different approach, one I can see being a blessing and a curse.

"Thief" isn't the kind of album you're going to fall in love with, and have stuck in your head, after just one listen. They don't pump up the pop sensibilities to a degree that makes the album musical velcro like that. These songs need to be heard a couple of times before they start to unravel. That process of discovery is good for the long-term prospects of the album with its fans, but in this age of immediate grtification, I can also see people not being captured immediately and moving on. It's a tough time to figure out exactly how to approach music. Callout is taking the more artistic bent, which as an artist myself, I admire.

On this album, we get some straight-ahead melodic rock, and a few detours. "Jane Doe" is an interesting case, as the pianos under the guitars, and the slight swing rhythm, make the song sound like whatever it was Panic At The Disco was trying with their cinematic records, only not annoying and lousy. The first time I heard the song, I thought it was an odd duck, but the next time it started to make sense. And when you couple it with "Mad Love", that sense is how Callout isn't strictly a four-four rock band. You can hear hints of classical dance rhythms to a few songs here, which is something I don't know if I've heard much of before.

Yes, there are a couple of rough edges still present, but that doesn't distract from "Thief" being a good record. It isn't a candy-coated pop album dressed up in a rocker's garb the way some of my favorites are, but that's ok. They've made a good, honest record that's a bit off-kilter, sort of the way the debut Incura album was. I loved that record, and while Callout doesn't hit the same level of ridiculous hooks, they have made a record that makes you stop and think about what you're listening to. "Thief" is a good step forward for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment