Wednesday, December 26, 2018

The Top Ten Halestorm Songs

As the winner of this year's Album Of The Year, Halestorm has cemented their place as one of my absolute favorite bands of today. When the subject keeps being broached that rock might be dead, I get where the sentiment comes from. Having to listen to an endless stream of songs from Five Finger Death Punch and Theory Of A Deadman would make me want to take rock out behind the woodshed and put it down too. But rock isn't dead, even in the mainstream, because we have bands like Halestorm. So, today let's look at my favorite songs from their already illustrious career, album by album.

Innocence

Halestorm came out of the gates with a great album. They would top it later, but that takes nothing away from the accomplishment of starting strong. The clear and obvious choice as the best track from that record is "Innocence", which continues to be as awesome as the first time I heard it. When the band falls back to let Lzzy unleash leading into the last chorus, it's pure magic.

I Miss The Misery
Beautiful With You
Here's To Us
Private Parts


"The Strange Case Of..." shared Album Of The Year honors from me, and with tracks like these it's easy to see why. "I Miss The Misery" is a burner of a track that has just enough restraint to the lyrics Lzzy is shouting, while "Beautiful With You" is the best vocal performance of Lzzy's career. Just listen to her belt those notes and tell me who's better. "Here's To Us" is their best rollicking sing-along, and was a harbinger of what would later come. The real standout, though, is "Private Parts", one of the bonus tracks. Lzzy and James Michael duet on one of the most epic four-minute rocking ballads you'll ever hear. It's been six years, and I still can't figure out how a song that good didn't get put on the record. Everyone needs to know about it.

I Am The Fire
What Sober Couldn't Say


"Into The Wild Life" was a bit of a problematic record, but it still produced a few gems. "I Am The Fire" is a full-throated call-to-arms that anchors concerts, while "What Sober Couldn't Say" shows that Lzzy's softer side is just as important as her rock-goddess status.

Killing Ourselves To Live
White Dress
Vicious


And finishing with this year's Album Of The Year, we get three more phenomenal rock and roll moments. "Killing Ourselves To Love" has an 80s vibe that is able to sound familiar without being the outright copycat theft so many bands have been trending towards recently. "White Dress" calls back to the sound of the first two records, with a smooth melodic hook that would have played on pop radio when I was younger. And then there's "Vicious", which was my favorite song of this year. It's a bouncing, crunching, addictive slice of attitude and self-empowerment.

There are more I could list, but we'll save that for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment