Wednesday, May 27, 2020

EP Review: Louise Lemon - Devil

Sometimes, a certain phrase will catch my attention in a way that a song or video wouldn't be able to. So when I saw Louise Lemon's new EP greet me with the description of her as 'the death gospel queen', I liked the turn of phrase enough that I had to listen to the music. To be fair, I reviewed her previous album, so there was a good chance I would have anyway, but that description won me over, for sure. And when the rest of the press materials say these songs are intended to be more raw and organic, that sealed the deal. In this day and age of everything being so plastic and perfected, music that sounds natural is often the perfect antidote.

The title track starts things off with a smokey atmosphere and an evil jazzy piano line. It immediately sets a tone that's a perfect fit for Louise's voice, which goes from cooing in the verses to an occult echo in the chorus. There's a laid-back sense of cool to the hazy darkness Louise is singing from. It's a sound that wouldn't be as effective with a more shimmering production. Choosing to keep things raw highlights the nuances of the performance. It was a wise decision.

The 'death gospel' vibe continues on with "Forever Alone", where we can imagine Louise singing these songs in a jazz club in a horror movie, a soundtrack that sounds sweet for an undercurrent that is more sinister. The songs are kept simple, letting Louise's voice and melodies shine over the top of the restrained instrumentation. This is a rare occasion where the slight muddiness of the production helps, because the fog her voice is atop is the most fitting backdrop. These songs shine when they don't shine, that is to say.

The only issue is that these five songs make for even a short EP, with a couple not even hitting three minutes. For music like this working so heavily on atmosphere, I'm not sure this is a long enough release to properly wash that sound over us. I'm only just beginning to feel the right sensation when it's over. I know it's an EP, and it's not supposed to be the same kind of artistic statement as a full-length, but it still feels a bit lacking. Leaving me wanting more is certainly better than giving me more than I want, so I won't fault her too much.

I'll say this; Louise Lemon has found something with this EP. These songs, and this sound, are a wonderful example of what she's capable of. This is a big step forward for her, and something well worth hearing if 'death gospel' sounds like it's your cup of tea. Twin Temple has been doing 'satanic doo-wop', and this could be a throwback companion. I wouldn't mind more, but I like what we have here. Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment