Wednesday, December 30, 2020

A Decade Of Albums Of The Year

This year was one that gave us more than enough time to evaluate things we have hung to as accepted wisdom. While the world was shutting down, and certain parts forgetting that protecting people is worth the effort, it also marked the official ending of the decade. Yes, I'm being pedantic about there not being a year zero, and we talked about the end of the decade last year like everyone else did, but I'm filling some time today, so humor me.

Over the last decade, I have my records of everything I've listened to, and while I'm not going to go back and sort through all of that for any purpose, I am interested in the one decision that gets made every December; what is the Album Of The Year?

So today I'm going to go through my picks over the last ten years, give some updates thoughts on the records, and decide if I made the right decision in that moment or not.

2011: Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events

This record is polarizing for Dream Theater fans, since it marked the beginning of the post-Portnoy era, and yet for some reason it is my favorite album of theirs. In the years since its release, I have made two realizations; one being that there are a few filler pieces that dull the record's momentum, one being that I was a complete idiot for not realizing how good Graveyard's "Hisingen Blues" was at the time. Looking back, there's no doubt Graveyard's record is the better one. I was wrong here.

2012: Graveyard - Lights Out/Halestorm - The Strange Case Of

The only tie I have ever chosen, I realize now I should have made the choice, no matter how tough it felt at the time. I still love both of these records, and put them on my list of the best of the decade, but if I'm being completely honest, "Lights Out" should be the winner. That album stands out to me as one of the absolute best rock albums made in recent memory, it moves me, and Halestorm would also go on to make another record I can give the praise to. Things work out sometimes.

2013: Dilana - Beautiful Monster

I can't regret this choice. Few records have ever made me feel the way this one did, and still does. It is special not just for being a great album, but for showing me things I couldn't previously see. It is important as music, but its importance goes beyond that. There's a reason I put it so high on my all-time favorites list.

2014: Jorn & Trond Holter - Dracula: Swing Of Death

This ridiculous piece of campy, theatrical metal won me over by being absurd, even for power metal. It was a stage show put on record, a modern Meat Loaf minus the pianos. Today, it's still a record I can get a wry smile from, but it's also revealed itself to be a fantastic set of songs. If you can tune out the ludicrous bits, what you still have is bombastic metal with fantastic vocals and hooks. The disappointing follow-up only reinforced what a unique moment in time this album was.

2015: Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope

I am still incredibly fond of this record, but my own attitude has changed enough that I don't think I can call it the best of what was an incredible year. There is too much time spent on detours for my taste, and the epics are obviously separate songs stitched together, not fully realized compositions. Those flaws mean I can, and should, say that Edward O'Connell's "Vanishing Act" or Blues Pills' debut were better, or even the fourth Allen/Lande album. I wasn't wrong, per se, but I wouldn't make the same choice today.

2016: Zakk Wylde - Book Of Shadows II

This year came down to a choice between two albums, and even as I'm writing this, I have a hard time deciding between Zakk Wylde and Shiverburn's "Road To Somewhere". I love Zakk's laid-back attitude on this record, and songs like "Lay Me Down" are almost hymns to me. I also love Shiverburn's anthemic pop/rock approach, which never got a follow-up. I thought at the time of making it a tie, which right now is what still feels like the right decision. They're too different for me to choose, and I hate leaving eitehr album off.

2017: Soen - Lykaia

I was immediately bowled over by the power of this record, and over the last few years, I am still stunned every time I listen at how Soen was able to blend progressive rhythms with lovely melodies. Few bands have ever done it this well, and while I would trim a couple of the instrumental tags, the biggest sin is making "God's Acre" and "Vitriol" bonus tracks. They had too much great material for one album, so whatever choice they made would leave something great off. Yes, it's still one of the best metal albums of the decade, so I have no regrets.

2018: Halestorm - Vicious

This was another year where I was facing a tough choice, but ultimately I hit on the right one. Light The Torch's debut album is still utterly splendid, and a true highlight, but it's "Vicious" I find myself returning to time and time again. Lzzy Hale is the greatest voice of her (our) generation, and while I'm not sure of "Vicious" is their best record, it's where she laid more of herself on the line for us. If we're going to look at the world as pre-2020 and post-2020, she summed up everything Halestorm had been to that point perfectly.

2019: Soen - Lotus

If I was bowled over by "Lykaia", I was more impressed by "Lotus" for not only being able to match its quality, but expand in new directions. "Lotus" is the optimistic half of the duality, taking Soen's sound and giving it hope as the melodies continue to get bigger and stronger. The heavy moments are powerful, the softer moments are gorgeous, and the result is an album that never had any competition.

2020: Yours Truly - Self Care

This choice has just been made, so it's too early for reflection, but in what I am declaring a weak year, I can't see any of the other records having an enduring legacy. "Self Care", by virtue of being just that, will.

No comments:

Post a Comment