Monday, December 28, 2020

Singles Roundup: Soen, Smith/Kotzen, Pale Waves, & Senna Sage

It seems there has been a glut of interesting songs coming out lately. There have been more than I can even get to in one column, if I'm being honest. I'm hoping that speaks well to what 2021 is going to have in store for us, since I am very much looking forward to a better year that 2020 was. Maybe these songs will be a harbinger of that better future.

Soen - Monarch

The second single from the upcoming "Imperial" is even better than the first one. Soen has found their identity, and is mining that combination of rhythms and haunting melodies for all its worth. Soen's guitar riffs aren't that different than djent, but they make more sense to my ears with a few more open notes. Joel's vocals continue to get better, and even though the chorus does sound a bit too much like an earlier song, the package gels into a song I've been listening to repeatedly. Soen's current sound is exactly what I would want modern metal to be, and it's glorious.

Smith/Kotzen - Changing My Ways

Pairing Richie Kotzen with Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden doesn't sound like it would work, but this song proves it certainly does. Adrian brings a heaviness to the guitars Richie doesn't usually have on his own, and Kotzen's melody in the chorus is catchier than anything Adrian gets either in Maiden or on his own. This is a case of two players bringing exactly to the table what the other needs, and the result is a fantastic song.

Pale Waves - Change

Heather Baron-Gracie mentioned Avril Lavigne as an influence on the band's upcoming record, and this song makes that abundantly clear. Aside from the extra guitar, Heather's voice sounds more engaged than on the first album. And yes, her vocal tone does have echoes of Avril in it. Combine that with a strong hook, and we get a song that would absolutely feel right at home in that time. And since I remember it fondly, I'm rather intrigued by what else the record can contain.

Senna Sage - The Beauty Of Breaking

I'm getting to this one late, so forgive me. One of my favorite recent records is the one-off from Shiverburn. Senna is the singer from that band, and she is finally back to making music. Hearing this song for the first time was like no time had passed. Her voice and ear for a sticky melody is the same as ever, and it brings a smile to my face. The music isn't as heavy, to give more room and attention to her voice, but it sounds just as wonderful. Senna's sound is a warm, more organic version of pop music. It fits like a glove, and I'm so happy to hear her again. Finding this song closes out 2020 on a good note.

No comments:

Post a Comment