Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Singles Roundup: Neal Morse, The Gems, Spanish Love Songs, & Any Given Day

This week brings quite the eclectic mix of songs.

Neal Morse - Like A Wall

It looks like Neal's next album with be another religious concept album. Oh boy. This one has a 'cast' of characters, and appears to be following in the dad-rock footsteps of his recent Jesus the exorcist record. As I recall, I found that to be among the worst things Neal had ever done in his career, so I'm not exactly excited to hear more of that kind of material about a subject I'm not interested in. I didn't mind his religious stuff when the songs were great, but this one just isn't at that level. It's bland, doesn't hook me at all, and feels corny all around. If this is the best way they thought to promote the record, I'm thinking it will not be a pleasant time for me when I get my promo copy of it. Neal and I continue to drift apart.

The Gems - Like A Phoenix

The members of Thundermother who were fired from that band have started this one, and honestly, there isn't that much difference between them. This song could have easily fit on any of Thundermother's albums, which is a good thing. IT does show, though, that the band was perhaps being given too much credit. If they can split apart, and it looks like both sides will be able to pretty much replicate what was going on, then just maybe Thundermother was a bit like a paint-by-numbers sort of affair. That being said, this group has Guernica singing, which puts them ahead of Thundermother for the time being. This is a far more promising song than the one she released to introduce her solo career.

Spanish Love Songs - Clean-up Crew

Last year, Ghost took heavier inspiration than ever from 80s hard rock. Then we just got indications Creeper is going full-on 80s with their new album, and Spanish Love Songs give us our second look at how 80s they are going with their album. I really don't understand the affection people have for reverb and pleastic synths. I hated that sound when I was just young enough to remember it, and I hate it now. I also think it doesn't work at all with the depressing lyrics and more modern emo vocals Spanish Love Songs trades in. For as visceral and wrenching as "Brave Faces Everyone" was, this feels far too clean and polished. It's sort of like using a mirror set in pure silver to do your drugs off of. You might feel classy, but it's all an illusion that doesn't mask the truth.

Any Given Day - Get It Done

This seems to be another stand-alone single, as I didn't see any indication an album will be coming out anytime soon. That's a shame, since they are among the best out there right now at making the metalcore formula sound vibrant and vital. That comes down to their ability to write hooky choruses that make the heavier verses feel like a true push-and-pull, rather than a gimmick they don't quite know how to put to proper use. That being said, this one gets a bit hokey in the lyrical department, so I can't say this is among my favorite songs they've put out. In a down year, it's always nice to get something powerful to distract me, but this one isn't going to endure if it has to stand on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment