Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Singles Roundup: Soen, Alicia Witt, Lucifer, & Eclipse

There's one obvious big story this week.

Soen - Unbreakable

Not quite like clockwork, because of last year's live album, Soen nevertheless is back with a new album on an odd numbered year. With their previous three albums all being Album Of The Year winners, expectations for what comes next could not be higher. The first taste indicates Soen is continuing down the same path, streamlining their sound into a killing machine. Their trademark rhythmic riffs are still here with as much odd groove as ever, but with each passing album the band has gotten better at adding bigger and bigger radio style choruses. Joel has become a stronger and more confident singer, and that allows this song to explode into a massive chorus which does what most radio rock simply can't. Needless to say, the date is circled on my calendar, and Soen's new album is the absolute highlight of the second half schedule I'm looking forward to in the coming months. This is what modern metal should be.

Alicia Witt - Clever Mind

Life is complicated, and it's easy for us to reduce it to unreasonable yes/no, black/white decisions. Alicia's new song looks at a relationship from the perspective of 'the other woman', which as we all know, usually gets no concern at all. We can ask questions about where our morality comes from, and who is actually responsible, but perhaps all we need to do is take a moment to realize things are not always as simple as we tell ourselves they are. What is simple, however, is enjoying this song. Alicia has found her stride as a songwriter, and the only way I can describe the feeling her recent songs evoke is 'charm'. There's something about the way her voice rises and falls, blending with the notes of her piano, that is just charming. That's more than enough for me.

Lucifer - A Coffin Has No Silver Lining

Oh, Lucifer. This is a prime example of a band I want to love, a band I should love, and a band I just don't love. This song is a perfect example of why all those things are true. Teasing a new record, this song plays into their sense of atmosphere. There's an ethereal, sinister vibe that plays out like a rock seance. That's great. Johanna's voice has that soft delivery that soothes you into forgetting what you're dealing with. That's great. The problem is that with the production being fuzzy in that stoner way, and her voice blending into the sound, the songs never jump out and grab me. Lucifer is great to listen to, but hard to remember. I fear this song is another chapter in that same story.

Eclipse - The Hardest Part Is Losing You

I've always maintained Eclipse is my least favorite of the projects Erik Martensson is involved in. They're the one project that felt too slick, trying too hard to be something more than they are. This first single for their upcoming album is rather interesting, even if it is still trying too hard. In this case, that effort is a blending of Eclipse's usual sweet melodic rock with hints of "Black Parade" era My Chemical Romance. There are elements to the melody, and a particular phrase Erik sings, that echo loud enough I'm not sure it can be a coincidence. For this reason alone, it might be the most I've been intrigued by Eclipse since I started listening to them. I don't know whether this will carry through the rest of the record, but looking at the track listing, I'm led to think this could be a version of Eclipse with a different perspective, and that's an Eclipse I want to hear more from.

No comments:

Post a Comment