Monday, July 8, 2024

Quick Reviews: Visions Of Atlantis & Kissin' Dynamite

This week, we find two albums that leave very similar impressions.

Visions Of Atlantis - Pirates II: Armada

There is a category of albums that Visions Of Atlantis are firmly falling into, one that Unleash The Archers just a short time ago was also in; Good music I can't connect to. Visions Of Atlantis are good at what they do. Their moderately symphonic metal is full of lovely melodies and strong hooks. They make a compelling case for themselves, especially as some of the older names in that scene have either faded or moved along to other areas of the metal world. I won't take anything away from their ability as songwriters.

The issue is that this is their second consecutive album centered on pirates. No matter how good the songs might be, lyrics about pirates are going to be difficult, if not impossible, to connect to. There is a barrier erected by the content that means I'm not going to be able to embrace this record the way I would like to, the way I probably should. Unleash The Archers did the same thing with their sci-fi concept record. It was good, but I simply don't care about their story of AI and technology, just like I don't care about pirates. Good for the band if they enjoy this gimmick, and if the audience likes it, but it isn't for me.

That means this is a record that firmly becomes a background listen. It's a very pleasant way to spend some time, provided I'm not focusing all my attention on these tales of piracy. When people say 'lyrics don't matter', these cases are why they do.

Kissin' Dynamite - Back With A Bang

Here we have another case of a band being good, but that not being enough. Kissin' Dynamite does write catchy rock songs. They're a fun time, and if you're listening casually, there isn't much to complain about. My job is to do a bit more than that, and Kissin' Dynamite starts to show their flaws when you dig beneath the surface. Their songs are the cliches of rock; parties and women galore. Even that wouldn't be the worst thing, but I'm not in a place right now where being mindless appeals to me.

Take their single, "The Devil Is A Woman". It's a common theme, but done with absolutely zero nuance. They state the devil is a woman, and she tempted the narrator into bed anyway. Ok, so where is the reckoning about what that means, or how he was able to be conned? There is no recognition that the devil can't tempt someone who can't be tempted, but all the fault and guilt is put on the woman. They missed an opportunity to write a song that was actually about something, instead resorting to a song about even the devil wanting to get freaky with the narrator. Ugh.

Maybe this is just because I was too young for the days of glam, and I'm too old for it to seem like nostalgic fun, but what truly is cock rock holds no appeal for me. I'm not asking these people to become poets, but I would appreciate if they at least sounded like they've had a thought one time in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment