Thursday, July 25, 2024

Singles Roundup: Pale Waves, Moggs Motel, Avatarium, & Charlotte Wessels

Eclectic is today's word of the day.

Pale Waves - Glasgow

Here's something I didn't expect to be saying this summer; I'm interested in this new Pale Waves album. There are a couple of other bands putting albums out I should be more excited about, but what I've heard so far is leaving me bracing for disappointment. Pale Waves, though, seem to be rebounding. This is yet another song that feels like the band is going back to the sound of their debut, which I just listened to again recently, and that's a wonderful thing. Heather's voice fits this colder and more laid-back sound so much better than when they tried to be more of a pop-rock band. This is a return to 'Daria-rock', as I call it, and maybe the trials and tribulations of the last couple records were necessary for the band to remember who they are. There are a few other bands that could learn that lesson; you need to have an identity, even if you're experimenting. This sounds like Pale Waves.

Moggs Motel - Apple Pie

I'm not sure I completely understand this. Phil Mogg put UFO to bed after fifty years, only to pop right back up with a new solo project. Judging by this song, the only thing that seems different is the name. Mogg's band drops in some heavy (for classic rock) riffs, and his voice is still the weathered charm it has long been. The sharp production lets the nuances of his voice stand out, which is the best thing we can hear. It's a fun little song, but I can't shake the question; why isn't this a UFO song? This could easily fit on any of the last few UFO albums, and it would certainly get more attention with that name attached to it. The only thing I can think of is that this project comes with less expectation of being on the road, but would any UFO fan really be upset if the band made studio records without playing live anymore? I'd gladly take the album this will be on over UFO ending with a dang covers album.

Avatarium - Long Black Waves

Not that I'm much of a doom fan, but I think I can safely say Avatarium is my favorite current doom band. They are able to make the darkness sound romantic, never more so than on "The Fire I Long For". Their new album doesn't arrive until January, but we're already getting the first taste. I don't know if releasing a doom song in the middle of summer is the optimal choice, but here we are. The good is that the band continues to excel at writing doom that has grace beyond the usual bludgeoning, and highlights Jennie-Ann Smith's soothing voice. If bands like Lucifer play up the camp of the 'dark side', Avatarium is more like the black velvet lining of the coffin. They're a lovely place to rest, and they don't seem to be wavering from what they do well.

Charlotte Wessels & Simone Simmons - Dopamine

I'm sure this pairing is a dream scenario for many people, but I'm not one of them. I continue to be rather confused by Charlotte's writing, as all three singles so far leave me scratching my head. This is at once the heaviest thing Charlotte may have ever done, and also maybe the least interesting. Despite the vocal assist, the melodies get lost in the guitar tracks, and it leaves the song feeling as if it doesn't even have a hook. If this is supposed to be experimental and artistic, which I think it is, the results are rather lost on me. I like my art to look like things, and I like my songs to sound like songs. This is more of a sonic palate than a memorable song, and once again I'm wondering what the spark was to this track that convinced everyone involved it needed to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment