Monday, December 27, 2021

Singles Roundup: Wagner, The Flower Kings, Elvis Costello, & The Birthday Massacre

 

This week is focused on looking forward to what 2022 could be, so let's start that off by taking up a few songs that will be appearing on albums in the coming months. Do these have anything promising to say about our future?

Wagner - Maybe Tomorrow

I'm going to refrain from saying too much here, because when I inevitably review the album, I have a feeling I will wind up saying something regrettable. The first posthumous release from Eric Wagner is good. What has become clear as he released two Blackfinger albums, two The Skull albums, and now this coming solo record, is he didn't need Trouble if they were going to hold him back with their glacial pace of working. I really liked the last The Skull album, and despite the different branding, this song fits right in with that. Wagner is one of the true voices of doom, and while his voice degraded with every cigarette he continued to smoke, he still fit the vibe. I'm not sure about putting out a song about death, given what has happened, but they might all be about death. A good song.

The Flower Kings – The Great Pretender

I haven't tried to hide the fact that the last couple of Flower Kings records have done nothing for me. Prog loses its appeal when it starts to feel formulaic, given that it's supposed to be anything but, and that's what I felt from those records. This new song is slightly more promising, but maybe that's an artifact of Roine Stolt providing few of the vocals. It sounds just different enough than the usual prog-by-numbers, and that's really an important distinction. It doesn't give me faith they have an entire album that will avoid long forays into dad-prog, but it does mean I'll at least give it a chance.

Elvis Costello – Paint The Red Rose Blue

We're getting a picture of what a 'rock' record from Elvis is at this stage of his career. In a way, he's just going back to his roots, because the records from his classic run are filled with a wide variety of sounds and styles. On the other hand, four decades has stripped off some of the energy and reckless abandon. Despite being 'rock', Elvis is writing from his more 'sophisticated' playbook, where stabbing keyboards are mixing with songs from the old-time songbook. The previews are showing an album far removed from "Momofuku", the last time we got this kind of talk. Elvis is trying to balance the past and present, and I'm not sure yet how it's working out.

The Birthday Massacre – Dreams Of You

I'm figuring out this band is more about atmosphere than the songs. I liked their last album, but despite that, I find myself only remembering two things about it; the amazing first single, and the crushing weight of the atmosphere. "The Sky Will Turn" was an amazing song, but it was unique. This single doesn't have the same level of sly earworm buried within it, but it has the familiar sound that, much like the band's image, sort of sounds purple. The way the guitars and keyboards swirl together makes a thick, shimmering soup, and the vocal is the soft breath cooling it down so we can eat. I'm thinking it isn't a great song, but it's a great experience. Weird, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment