Wednesday, December 29, 2021

What I'm Looking Forward To In 2022

Optimism is not always the easiest thing to keep going. Every time a lull comes along, it feels like it might be the end, like we might never get things back on track. Given that 2021 ended up being a moderately disappointing year for music, in my estimation, being optimistic about what 2022 has in store for us might be a fool's errand. If the year coming off a pandemic, when we were supposed to be absolutely flooded with releases from bands and artists who had more time than ever to make new music, wasn't enough to satisfy me, what chance does returning to a more 'normal' year have?

That's a good question. Obviously, there is no way to know right now what is going to come out of the woodwork to grab my attention and win me over, but there are a few things in the works that could be those records. Here's what I'm being optimistic and looking forward to in the coming year.

The (Mostly) Sure Things:

Halestorm - The band has recently finished work on a new record, and it tops the list as the album I'm most looking forward to. I adore Lzzy, and three of their four records are classics to me, including "Vicious" winning Album Of The Year honors. Obviously, that means I am excited to hear what they do to follow that up. "Back From The Dead" was a good single to keep us invested, but hearing Lzzy talk about how the new songs have been a conduit for her to take ownership of her own mental health, I'm even more intrigued. Albums dealing with those issues have been at or near the top of my lists the last few years, so there's every reason to think Halestorm might be able to one-up them all and deliver the sort of spirit-lifting rock experience I feel like I am desperately in need of.

Ghost - A new Ghost album is going to be coming our way, and it will be fascinating to see if they continue on down their more pop-oriented direction, and how much backlash their will be from the metal elitists, as there always is. While all of their record are flawed, I keep thinking their desire to become bigger and bigger will lead them in the right (to me) direction. "Prequelle" was half a step toward that goal, and if they can follow suit by making the rest of the leap, we could have an album that finally delivers on all the promise the band has shown from the very start. Just keep that " " single off of it.

The Winery Dogs - A third album is on the way, the band has promised, and their talk is leading us to think the new songs will be more in line with the first album than the second. That is music to my ears. Their debut album was an amazing one, packed with great playing around the core of great songs. Their second album leaned too hard into their abilities as players, but then they put out the "Dog Years" EP that reminded us how great they can be when they focus on the songs. If their judgment is correct, and this record takes after the debut, then it could very well be a gem.

Elvis Costello - The talk right now is that the new album is Elvis' first mostly 'rock' record since "Momofuku", which is an album that took time, but has ultimately grown on me a lot. If he can recapture that spirit, and sound even remotely like the Elvis Costello most of us became fans of, then it would be a more than welcome return to form. He veers off and explores all sorts of genres and sounds, but he's still best at being himself, which he hasn't been very often these last twenty years. The thought he might once again is rather tantalizing.

The Hopeful Desires:

Avantasia - It's been a few years since "Moonglow" came out, and Tobi has teased us about being in the studio toying with new songs, so perhaps we will soon be in store for another dose of power metal magic. The last two records have found a new groove I've quite enjoyed, and even when my expectations get put in the wrong place, Tobi always delivers a few of the best metal songs anyone in the scene can. While I would also love for Edguy to make another album, the musical alchemy he conjures up with Avantasia would be a nice watershed moment.

Graveyard - I thought a record might materialize this year, since I had heard a rumor about them working on new music. That makes it more likely something could happen in 2022, and I for one can't wait to hear what they have in store for us. Their first three records are so special, and they have put to shame all the other bands playing vintage rock. "Peace" came after a tumultuous period, so the relative calm since then could be just what they need to get back into the mental space to make a record like their early ones. If they could deliver like that again, there might not be enough praise left in my pen.

The Spider Accomplice - New singles are all but guaranteed, but the band mentioned the possibility of putting together an EP, because they have so many songs in the works. As much as I love all the singles they have been putting out, getting more than a bite at a time would be ever so satisfying. That is mostly for selfish reasons. I'll take whatever they have to give, and it sounds like they have plenty, so of course I'm looking forward to their bursts of creative fury.

No comments:

Post a Comment